How many GFCI outlets?

Old 07-07-08, 09:38 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How many GFCI outlets?

Hi - I have a 30-year-old kitchen that I am doing some minor remodeling on. I wanted to replace the old grimy, painted-over outlets with new ones. When I went to the store I saw the GFCI outlets and information saying that only one GFCI outlet is needed for each circuit (it protects the whole circuit). I have since done some research on the web and found places saying that ALL outlets in kitchen, bath, etc. need to be GFCI or it needs to be on the circuit breaker. So now I'm confused...do I need one GFCI outlet per circuit in the kitchen (the rest can be the regular/cheaper outlets) or do they all need to be GFCI?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-07-08, 09:56 AM
Super Moderator
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I'm sure one of the Pro's can come on and tell you the newest requirements.

But what basically this means....

"When I went to the store I saw the GFCI outlets and information saying that only one GFCI outlet is needed for each circuit (it protects the whole circuit)."

...is that if all the outlets in your kitchen are on the same circuit (unlikely...fridge, stove 110V, micro, etc may be diff), then installing a single GFCI at the first outlet, protects all those downstream of it. So it effectively makes all the outlets GFCI.

There are new rules out there, so wait for one of the experts to tell you the right thing. I was just explaining what you read at the store. Don't trust the stuff you read there BTW, most of that info has been outdated by the new codes. And it wasn't all that accurate to begin with.

Old 07-07-08, 10:01 AM
thanks - i know enough to be skeptical of anything i read at the store, which is why i'm asking! you're right, there are several different circuits in the kitchen - the range and DW have their own, for example. i am talking about replacing the outlets for the countertop outlets only, which are on 2 different circuits - one for each side of the kitchen. there are probably 4 or 5 countertop outlets on each circuit.

Old 07-07-08, 10:09 AM
You could put a single Gfi as a replacement for each and every old receptacle you have, if you wanted, and if they fit. (Gfi receptacles sometimes don't fit in existing outlet boxes especially if they contain a ton of wires and wire-nuts.) The general practice however is to utilize all four terminals on the Gfi . LINE TERMINALS AND LOAD TERMINALS. Look at the instructions in the GFI "box" and all will be clear. If you have two countertop circuits in you kitchen (as you should and is required by code) then you would need a total of 2 (two) Gfi receptacle for your project irregardless of how many receptacles you have in your kitchen. Someone will come along and give you further details soon, I'm quite sure.

Last edited by sidecutter; 07-07-08 at 10:30 AM. Reason: typing error
Old 07-07-08, 10:20 AM
The answer will be different depending on what country you are in. Please fill in the Location field of your profile for best advice.

Some kitchens (especially in Canada) are wired with a multiwire circuit. In most cases, this will require a separate GFCI for each box. If there is a red wire in any of the outlet boxes, that's a giveaway.

If you are in the U.S., you can most likely use one GFCI to protect the whole circuit if you put it in the correct place and correctly wire it.