Any voltage drop in 475ft of 2-2-4 aluminum wire

Old 07-07-08, 08:06 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Red face Any voltage drop in 475ft of 2-2-4 aluminum wire

My cabin is 475 ft from the power meter on my land and I need to run a line to it. Im going to use 2-2-4 aluminum wire and would have an electric stove ,water heater, well pump and a few kitchen appliances as a load, do you think that the 2-2-4 wire will work ok without too much voltage drop?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-07-08, 10:09 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by ricklindquist View Post
do you think that the 2-2-4 wire will work ok without too much voltage drop?
No, I think the #2 aluminum is too small for such a great distance.

Even with a modest predicted load of 50A, you still have nearly 6% voltage drop which is too high in my opinion. Code recommends you limit voltage drop to 2% on feeders; however that is not always practical. I think you should at least strive for 5% which would require #2/0 aluminum minimum.

I should also note that voltage drop is not a required design parameter based on the code, so you can use the #2 aluminum for a 100A service at 475', it's just not a good idea to do so. Code only covers safety, not good design practices.

Old 07-08-08, 09:42 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unforetally with that much distance if you have electric stove , electric water heater on you will really face serious voltage drop.

You will need much larger cable size to handle that kind of load typically like 2/0 may squeak by. but better use 3/0 alum wire or larger if you can get ahold of it in the big box store otherwise electrical supply centre will have much larger one on hand.

Merci,Marc