Trying to figure out apartment building wiring

Old 07-08-08, 04:53 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Trying to figure out apartment building wiring

I need some opinions on my theory about this wiring situation. Am I right, wrong, close? How's this system hold up in terms of overcurrent protection?

The general contractor needs to figure out how to rewire from master-meter to tenant-metered. I told him it looked like there was a bus or daisy-chain of some sort and it wouldn't be easy. That is, I think four quadrants of the building are fed from the service entrance. Each quadrant has a set of 4-handle-tied breakers. Those handle-tied breakers are protecting two separate feed cables for junction boxes in each quadrant. Those feed cables are spliced in j-boxes to feed the units.

Nothing is marked of course but electrical contractor will be working on that starting Thursday.

Link to photo album:
http://s158.photobucket.com/albums/t...y/AptElectric/

One photo:

Sponsored Links
Old 07-08-08, 11:12 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
This is one of those situations when you need a Pro not a general contractor. Get the opinion of a couple of master electricians. Then go from there.

Old 07-08-08, 11:30 PM
Don't I know it. The general has had an electrical contractor look it over, but based on what I have seen from the electricians so far, this is not going to go well. They know the code but that's about it. I have some really depressing photos of their work. I just thought maybe somebody would be able to connect the dots.

Old 07-08-08, 11:56 PM
I am sure that there are few code issue is allready cropping up fast.

Now if the apartments do have it own main breaker it may be " ok " from old code cycle era but by modern code and POCO regulations they will not allowed this arrangement now.

I can see two large cable look like 1/0 SER and the rest look like #6's SER IMO it is a very stinky combation and not very good setup if one of the cable decied to go out it will effectaly shut down the whole works no question asked.

I did look the rest of the photo you provided in the link and seems like that you have 400 amp service single phase there with current transfomer cabnet with meter above and you have 400 amp main breaker box where ya found alot of 4 handled breakers

That will give the electrician a good workout on the system and one photo I did reconited that you have riser breaker box there as well which it is pretty common found with larger apt centre or condo's

Merci,Marc

Old 07-09-08, 12:19 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
That box looks like the perfect "before" picture for a Polaris Connector advertisement!