Switched Outlet

Old 07-08-08, 05:01 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Switched Outlet

In a bedroom with a switched outlet I would like to make the outlet permanently hot. Can I open the junction box where the switch is, remove the switch and tie the hots together? The room has a switched outlet with a lamp connected to it since it has no lighting in the ceiling. I want to do this because I will be installing a ceiling fan with lights and I no longer want the outlet switched - a TV is plugged into it. I would also like to fish a wire from the ceiling fan to the location of the existing switch to control the fan. Is this all okay?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-08-08, 05:20 PM
A
After turning off the power you should open up the various boxes and figure out how your wiring is laid out. Assuming there is a ceiling box that is simply not being used right now, there may be an easier option than fishing if all the wires meet in the ceiling box. If you are adding a ceiling box it must be fan rated and properly mounted.

Although you first want to make sure you don't have two live circuits in the box, for making a switched recep HOT all the time, just open that box, disconnect the "switched" wire and cap it with a wirenut. Add a jumper on the HOT screw terminals or replace the receptacle with a new one that does not have the link removed.

Old 07-08-08, 05:59 PM
J
ArgMeMatey,

There is not currently a box in the ceiling. I will be adding one, fan rated. I have not yet opened any of the boxes to inspect how the wiring is done. Arent there different methods for wiring a switched outlet? The only method I'm familiar with is basically how a light is wired. Feed a hot/neutral into the switch box, then a hot/neutral going to the outlet, tie the neutrals together in the box and connect the hots to the switch?

Old 07-08-08, 06:31 PM
W
john, what matey is referring to is a duplex receptacle that is switched on one half and hot all the time on the other, if both halves of yours are switched you only need to open the switch box, remove the wires from the switch and join them with a wire nut. As for the fan be sure to use a fan rated box, and it will be fine to fish a switchleg into the existing switch and use it to control the fan.

Old 07-08-08, 06:36 PM
G
You can remove the switch as you described and tie the hot leads together . If you are growing to fish a wire from there to the new fan you will need a electrical tester to make shore there is a neutral or white wire to connect to as well Gpaw 2

Old 07-08-08, 06:47 PM
J
As gpaw2 says, the answers to the two questions in your original post are "yes".

There are many other ways to do this too.

Old 07-08-08, 07:04 PM
R
First of all, the power must be turned off... then tested to make sure that the power has indeed been removed...the circuit is de-energized.
How a typical split "switched outlet" works is: the small brass jumper on the side of the recepticle is removed that ties the top and bottom halves of the recepitcle together, (between the two brass colored screws.) just bend it back and forth until it breaks, or snip it off with a pair of diagonal cutters.
The "switched-outlet"half of the recepticle usually gets it's power from the same wire that the unswitched half of the recepticle gets it's power from. Because only one wire should be connected under a terminal screw (on the side of a duplex recepticle) for example, "pigtail jumpers are commonly used. The recepticle source (hot)wire goes into a wirenut with a couple of pigtail wires ( short jumpers) coming out that go to: 1)to one side of the "switched outlet" light switch, and :2) to a pigtail that goes to the brass colored screw on the side of the unswitched half of the recepticle, and maybe a 3rd pigtail continuing on to the next outlet, or what ever is beyond the switched /unswitched outlet. The other side of the "switched outlet"-light switch runs back to the (brass) screw on the "switched outlet half of the outlet.
To disable a switched outlet, to keep both sides HOT...the duplex recepticle can be replaced with one that still has the jumper in place, and the pigtail that goes to the "switched-outlet"-light switch removed from the wirenut. Then the light switch could be removed from it's j-box.and a blank cover plate could be used to cover the the junction box.
If the switched outlet light switch was jumpered to keep the "switched" side of the recepticle (HOT)...that might cause confusion in the future for someone else.