Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Wiring Double switch for exhaust fan and light in bathroom

Old 07-10-08, 06:19 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Previously to moving into my new house, an exhaust fan was installed in the bathroom. The fan is wired to the same switch as the lights. I'm attempting to install a double switch in a single gang box.

There are 2 sets of 14/2 w/ground wires coming into the box.

Previously, the black wires went to seperate screws on the hot side, the whites were capped off together, and the grounds were both attached to the ground screw.

How do I wire the 2 14/2s to the double switch to have the fan and light work independently?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 07-10-08, 09:19 AM
Group Moderator
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Previously, the black wires went to separate screws on the hot side, the whites were capped off together, and the grounds were both attached to the ground screw.
This doesn't make sense to me. Separate screws on the side of what? Is this at the switch box or the light/fan box? Do you mean there are two black wires from two cables at the fan/light box, one was to each fixture?
There are 2 sets of 14/2 w/ground wires coming into the box.
Do you mean switch box? Are there three cables at the fan/light box?

Old 07-10-08, 09:26 AM
If only two romex cables in the switch box you may be out of luck on this one due you have one cable for incomming power while other cable is outgoing to the fan / luminaire.

The only way you can get the luminaire and fan to run separted is you have to run new wire [ 14-3 ] from switch box to the fan and luminaire.

If you want do that and if you have attic above the bathroom it will be pretty easy to do that.

Merci,Marc

Old 07-10-08, 09:27 AM
On the switch, there are the 2 black screws on one side and 2 copper screws on the other side, along with a ground screw.

There are 2 cables coming into the box, each cable containing a black, white, and ground wire.

I am not sure where they go to. One of them has to be the source correct? The other I assume goes to the light. That would have to mean the exhaust fan is in series with the light, which is what I'm afraid of. That would mean I have to run a set of wires from the fan to the switch directly?

I have yet to take apart the fan or light to see how they are wired on their ends.

Old 07-10-08, 09:32 AM
Originally Posted by french277V View Post
The only way you can get the luminaire and fan to run separted is you have to run new wire [ 14-3 ] from switch box to the fan and luminaire.

If you want do that and if you have attic above the bathroom it will be pretty easy to do that.

Merci,Marc
No attic. Flat roof=sad.

I suppose I could snake wire through the wall, as much fun as that will be...

Old 07-10-08, 09:37 AM
Originally Posted by irz813 View Post
On the switch, there are the 2 black screws on one side and 2 copper screws on the other side, along with a ground screw.

There are 2 cables coming into the box, each cable containing a black, white, and ground wire.

Sound like you got a true double pole switch.

Here a trick if you have true double pole switch is look for bathroom GFCI leave the switch on and hit the test button on GFCI if the fan do go off when the GFCI trip during test mode then you have one circuit from GFCI while other circuit go to the luminaire.

Ughh Flat roof it will be a challange but it a doable situation.

But let me know real quick with the GFCI issue just run the test as I mention above to verify it.

Merci,Marc

Old 07-11-08, 10:54 AM
The bathroom is wired strangely, possibly by an amateur. The lights and exhaust fan are on a different circuit/breaker than the GFI outlet and washerdryer. This is a 2nd bathroom added recently.

I noticed this after i killed the power to the bathroom lights at the breaker box, the washer still ran and a night light in the wall outlet was still light.