Breaker going Bad??

Old 07-11-08, 07:41 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Breaker going Bad??

I have a breaker to my detached garage that does NOT trip, but power to the garage is out. When I switch the breaker off and then on again, the power is restored. I open the garage door opener, maybe a light, then turn it off, close the door, and then about 24 hours later - no power again. During this 24 hours, no power is being used in the garage. Does this mean the breaker is going bad and needs to be replaced??

Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-08, 08:35 AM
First thing .,, I did move this thread to the new thread so it will not tied up with old one.

Now let get to the subject here.,,

Do you have GFCI breaker in the house panel ? If not then sound like either you have bad connection on the breaker bussbar or underground cable to the Garage is " shorting out " that the only two most common curpit.

If you are confortable working on breaker box that fine this what you will have to do is get the excat the same breaker brand name and size [ correct amprage rating you will see the number on the handle or breaker itself ]
Turn off the Main breaker first before you remove the breaker then remove the breaker and look at the bussbar to see if corroded or burnted mark{s} there if not then go ahead install the new breaker.

But however if the bussbar showen burnted marks or arc marks if you have empty space in the breaker box you can move to the new location [ this will be fine with single pole breaker but senice you mention subpanel so I am pretty much sure you have double pole breaker so move it down to correct spot and try it ]

If that work and the new breaker stay on then you got it but if still trip withen 24 hours or soso then you have issue with underground cable there are few things can get the underground cable damaged
Broken conduit
Nicked wire{s}
wire streched that can cut the insluation
{if have alum wire{s} a pinhole can get a corroded connection and either cut the power off or shorted out or combation of two}

If that the case on latter part you have to replace the underground cable If in conduit it may be pretty easy if undamaged but damaged you will have to find where the damaded conduit is or just buried a new one and run new wire[s]

Merci,Marc

Old 07-11-08, 10:25 AM
But if the breaker does NOT trip (stays in the on position), but power is off to the garage, can the breaker still be bad, and/or if you say it might be a wiring problem, why would the breaker not trip, but power out to the garage?

Old 07-11-08, 12:17 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 23 Votes on 19 Posts
As Marc tried to say you may have a wiring problem that could be causing the loss of power. It may be time to start opening junction boxes or removing devices to check the connections.

Breakers trip because too much current is flowing through them. A loose connection would not cause the breaker to trip.

Breaker can and do go bad, but in my experience this is rare.

Old 07-11-08, 12:27 PM
Pretty much sum up with it and with most breaker it is not very often I do see fail most common will be connetion issue or wire itself espcally with underground run ya know some critters like to eat on the wire and give you a heckva big headache to find it. { been there and done that }

And also check all the wire connection along the way from breaker box to the garage. { start at breaker box and work it way out }

Merci,Marc