Another hottub panel question

Old 07-11-08, 11:16 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Another hottub panel question

I may mount my hot tub subpanel to my house, drill a hole though the house for the cable and go directly into the back of the box.

If this is the case, do I still need a green covered ground wire or is bare copper sufficient since the cable is really never seeing daylight? This will be a 6awg cable running from my main to the hottub gfci panel.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-08, 12:04 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
The NM-B cable would be okay in that case if you caulk the penetration through the siding.

Old 07-11-08, 12:11 PM
Ahh, sounds good.

Thanks for the advice!

My guess is there is a difference in cost between the two types of cable (outdoor with the green ground versus indoor with the bare ground)

Old 07-11-08, 06:05 PM
Originally Posted by ibpooks View Post
The NM-B cable would be okay in that case if you caulk the penetration through the siding.
Similar situation, but going through the exterior wall is a conduit sleeve, then an LB turning up and then about 4 feet in conduit to the spa shut-off/GFCI panel. Can NM-B be used in that path to get from the interior of the house to the spa panel?

Thanks, RJ

Old 07-12-08, 04:19 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Rjs, I'd say no, the code states that NM can be used in the interior of the house only. I would make joints under the house and transgress to single conductors w/insulated ground.
Just my opinion.

Old 07-12-08, 05:20 AM
Originally Posted by wirenut1110 View Post
Rjs, I'd say no, the code states that NM can be used in the interior of the house only. I would make joints under the house and transgress to single conductors w/insulated ground.
Just my opinion.
Wirenut,
Thanks, I figured that, it was just the above method of a sleeve through a wall into a panel that got me thinking: "what if the same idea, except the sleeve being a few feet long?" My last house had its exterior meter base and interior main panel back-back, and a sleeve through the wall with the entrance right into the main panel. A simple, compact method.

Thanks! RJ