Question about 220v breaker & 50amp outlet wiring...

Old 07-11-08, 12:49 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question about 220v breaker & 50amp outlet wiring...

Hello All!

I moved to a new house & brought the breaker, wire, box & outlet that I was using for my welder at the old house & want to hook it up at the new house.

My question is: I didn't mark the location of where the red & black wires were connected to - on both the outlet & the breaker. I left the ground on the outlet so that is not a problem but does it matter if the wires from the breaker to the outlet are hooked up to either side, criss crossed, or not? Does this make sense? Is there a set way to hook it up or can these 2 wires be in any combination?
Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-08, 01:04 PM
For the red and black conductors for welder it don't matter which one it will land on brass colour screw but for bare or green wire it must be on green screw.

If you happend have white wire there you can capped off with wirenut and make a note in the breaker box as well.

With 50 amp breaker you have to use #6 wire or larger.

This is a 240 volt 50 amp receptale

The D shaped is for ground while both vertical blade opening is both hot so red and black dont matter where it land [ as long you see brass colour screw or marked L1 , L2 ]

Merci,Marc

Old 07-11-08, 01:08 PM
Either hot wire can connect to either terminal on a 240 or 120/240V receptical.

Old 07-11-08, 02:31 PM
Got it hooked up... another question!

Thanks for the answers, now I am wondering if I have the wrong style of breaker? The house I just moved into looks to have a different style box... See the photos -

New house breaker box...

The current breaker I have for the welder hookup...

This won't fit will it???
If not can someone give the me some detail in what I need to buy? THANKS, I am dyin' to get my welder going again!

Old 07-11-08, 03:33 PM
Sure will. Turn off the main so you don't shock yourself (you have the breaker to the ON position, not a good idea for now).

You have everything correct. Square-D Homeline breakers come with two throws connected and single throw-double breaker like you have.

The tricky thing is on the plastic hook, you have to give it a little wiggle with no force to get the black metal parts of the box to engage it, then push downward where the metal bus in the center is. Don't force it, but it does take some pushing.

Old 07-11-08, 03:38 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
The panel you show is a homeline panel but the breaker is a QO, they won't work together. You need to get a hom250 for this panel.

Old 07-11-08, 03:47 PM
Originally Posted by wirenut1110 View Post
The panel you show is a homeline panel but the breaker is a QO, they won't work together. You need to get a hom250 for this panel.

You are correct Wirenut, it is a homeline panel & the one I have def will not fit. I am so new to electrical - I just want to be sure, is hom250 all I need to know when I go get this breaker? Any idea what they cost?

Thanks all, appreciate the help so far!!

Old 07-11-08, 07:10 PM
The Hom250 breaker will cost about the same as QO250 breaker or less depending on where ya get it but overall it should be very simuair on pricewise.

The breaker you got wrong one that breaker is QO it will not fit in HOMELINE series due the width of breaker for two pole QO it is 1.5 inch wide while HOMELINE series is 2 inch wide and both are not interchangeable.

Merci,Marc

Old 07-12-08, 07:19 AM
Oh, you guys are right. I'm so used to seeing the red flag on the QO breakers!