New 220 outlet

Old 07-12-08, 09:25 PM
I
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Talking New 220 outlet

Hello,

I'm building a new shop and I'm doing the wiring now, and would like to be 1 steap ahead of the inspector. My 50' 'roll of 10-3 wire is about 7' short from the panel. My question, can I put the wire in a junction box and use wire nuts to add the wire I needed to go to the panel?

Alnother thought, can I install a 220 plug in the junction box then connect the wires and then feed the rest of the wire to the panel. So when the dust settles I would have two 220 volt plugs on the same 30 A circuit, and would never use them both at the same time.

Thanks for your time,

JV

Old 07-12-08, 09:41 PM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Yes, you can install a junction box and use wire nuts to lengthen the cable (assuming the junction box is in a protected, dry location.

I would not, however, put a receptacle in a feeder line (I'm not sure whether that's legal or not, but I wouldn't do it anyway). I assume this is a feeder (i.e., you are installing a subpanel on a double-pole 30-amp breaker).

You didn't ask further questions, but I hope you know all the other codes that are involved in a project like this. There are many of them.

Old 07-12-08, 11:23 PM
F
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
There quite few codes have to deal depending on excat set up but codewise if your state or area allready adpoted 2008 code you have no choice but have to do this .,,

All the 120 volts 15 or 20 amp circuits have to be GFCI protected [ Yeah that including the lighting circuits and GDO circuits ]

The 240 volt circuits do not need GFCI at all unless the manufacter spec'ed for it.

As far what John Nelson he made good point and to add a receptale on feeder circuit IMO it is a very lousy idea to do that and not allowed per code anyway.

Tell us little more about the shop is that is attached or detached building [ it will make the diffrence on codewise ]

Merci,Marc

Old 07-12-08, 11:45 PM
I
Thanks for the quick response.

The shop is attached to my garage. The 220 circuit is coming off a 110 Amp sub panel, and at this point I have no tools that use 220. I just thought it would be a good idea to install the circuit for future needs.

Old 07-13-08, 12:42 PM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Okay, my assumption of a subpanel was apparently incorrect. Keep in mind that 240-volt circuits are normally designed for one specific appliance. It is unusually and risky to install a 240-volt circuit for future needs when you don't know exactly what those future needs are. Unlike most 120-volt circuits which are general-purpose, 240-volt circuits are not.

Old 07-13-08, 06:09 PM
M
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by french277V
All the 120 volts 15 or 20 amp circuits have to be GFCI protected [ Yeah that including the lighting circuits and GDO circuits ]
Oi... Sorry to butt in yet again. Do you mean AFCI or GFCI?

Thanks!

Old 07-13-08, 10:26 PM
F
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Yeah it is a GFCI not the AFCI both are diffrent beast to deal with it and due the OP mention shed so per NEC code all the 15 or 20 amp 120 V circuits have to be GFCI'ed.

{ the 2005 and earier code cover genral receptale circuits but not for the lighting and GDO circuits but however in 2008 code they remove that extempt on that part }

Merci,Marc

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: