Hot tub wiring (Final Steps)

Old 07-13-08, 04:34 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hot tub wiring (Final Steps)

I installed my GFCI subpanel today for my hot tub. I feel confident that everything is done right (Thanks to some of the people here).

Now it's time for the next step. I need to install the cable that will go from the GFCI box to the tub.

According to my spa pre-delivery manual, there will be 5 wires going from the box to the spa. (A red, blue, and white on the 20 amp breaker and a red and blue from the 30 amp breaker)

What rules and codes do I need to watch out for while installing this cable?

My understanding is that I need a flexible conduit. Can the entire run be flexible conduit (about 7-10 feet)? I could have swore I saw something in NEC about only having 3 feet of flex, but I could be wrong.

My spa dealer recommended products called Tiger-Flex or sealtight. Did anyone ever hear of these products? I can't find web info anywhere about them.

Thanks for the help

Sponsored Links
Old 07-13-08, 06:27 PM
C
Buy yourself some carflex, and some THHN/THWN conductors of the correct size and length...

Old 07-13-08, 07:39 PM
C
Cool, can I use this stuff the entire length from the GFCI box to the tub?

It's about 6-8 feet from the box to the tub + I'm supposed to leave an additional 3 ft for under the tub.

Old 07-13-08, 08:04 PM
C
Originally Posted by carlg View Post
Cool, can I use this stuff the entire length from the GFCI box to the tub?

It's about 6-8 feet from the box to the tub + I'm supposed to leave an additional 3 ft for under the tub.
As long as its properly supported.

Old 07-13-08, 08:22 PM
C
Great, thanks for the tip.

There's a part of NEC 680 that says the flexible section must be 3 feet or less and then I thought I seen elsewhere it said 15 feet or less for the flexible part.

So, I was kind of confused.

Old 07-14-08, 06:37 AM
C
I just spoke with the inspector on the phone. He said he doesn't want to see more than 2 or 3 feet of carflex/sealtight.

He said run PVC conduit from the shutoff box to right below the tub and then come up with carflex.

Old 07-14-08, 02:18 PM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 43 Votes on 41 Posts
Yes, that is what I also do. Run rigid PVC conduit from the subpanel down under the deck to within about 1 foot of the access hole in the bottom of the tub. Glue a female threaded fitting on the end of the conduit. Switch to flexible liquidtight with the threaded fitting screwed into the end of the rigid PVC conduit and snake it up into the tub service compartment.

According to my spa pre-delivery manual, there will be 5 wires going from the box to the spa. (A red, blue, and white on the 20 amp breaker and a red and blue from the 30 amp breaker)
There should be 6 wires -- a shared #10 green ground (some models specify #8) in addition to the five #12s and #10s you mentioned.

Old 07-14-08, 02:52 PM
C
Originally Posted by carlg View Post
I just spoke with the inspector on the phone. He said he doesn't want to see more than 2 or 3 feet of carflex/sealtight.

He said run PVC conduit from the shutoff box to right below the tub and then come up with carflex.
Thats nice of him for his opinion, but unless he can show you a code violation he can go pound sand. I dont think him and I would get along to well...

Old 07-14-08, 03:29 PM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 43 Votes on 41 Posts
I agree with Chris75 -- the inspector's opinion of 2' is not important in this case because article 680.42(A)(1) specifically states that flexible conduit is allowed for up to 6' for the final connection to a spa.

Old 07-14-08, 04:25 PM
B
Why get into an argument over a few feet of flex? I'd do as he asks since he's signing the approval. It is really not much more work to do as he asks I don't think.

Old 07-14-08, 05:22 PM
C
Originally Posted by bob22 View Post
Why get into an argument over a few feet of flex? I'd do as he asks since he's signing the approval. It is really not much more work to do as he asks I don't think.
Umm, its not an argument, its code, If they cant recite it, then dont cite it, its that simple...

Old 07-14-08, 05:32 PM
B
I don't disagree with you but isn't it likely he could find something that was wrong that he might have let go if you didn't point out his lack of knowledge on the code? Seems like it could get out of hand quickly.

Old 07-14-08, 05:34 PM
C
Originally Posted by bob22 View Post
I don't disagree with you but isn't it likely he could find something that was wrong that he might have let go if you didn't point out his lack of knowledge on the code? Seems like it could get out of hand quickly.
I'm a professional, if he does find something wrong dont you think you want to know about it? Thats his job, I just dont want his opinion...

Old 07-14-08, 05:57 PM
J
Don't piss off the inspector. If he cannot find any other code to get you on (and he probably can if he tries hard enough), he can always fail you because he deems that your work is not done in a "workmanlike manner", which is a code that allows a lot of subjectivity. Sort of like a policeman arresting you for "obstruction". Sure, you might get off in court (or by appeal to the inspector's boss), but why put yourself though that trouble?

Last edited by John Nelson; 07-14-08 at 06:15 PM.
Old 07-14-08, 07:13 PM
C
There should be 6 wires -- a shared #10 green ground (some models specify #8) in addition to the five #12s and #10s you mentioned.
Yes I did forget to mention the ground!

Old 07-14-08, 08:57 PM
C
Originally Posted by John Nelson View Post
Don't piss off the inspector. If he cannot find any other code to get you on (and he probably can if he tries hard enough), he can always fail you because he deems that your work is not done in a "workmanlike manner", which is a code that allows a lot of subjectivity. Sort of like a policeman arresting you for "obstruction". Sure, you might get off in court (or by appeal to the inspector's boss), but why put yourself though that trouble?
Why doesn't he just do his job and stop having a power trip? Sorry, I just don't support bowing down to an inspector. And anyone that does is just insane.

Old 07-15-08, 12:12 AM
F
John Nelson.,
I know it will be off topic a little but as long we are on the same subject and yes I did challange the Inspectors before sometime they make a mistake or did not relized the code.

Myself I useally try to help the Inspectors to make sure we are on the same channel and from time to time they learn something from us and we do learn something from them.

All the Inspectors are humans just like us sometime we do make a mistake along the way.

I been in Electrical bussiness for 20 years now { 15 In USA and 5 In France } and from time to time I do challange the Inspectors and if they can't come up with the code they can't write up a " ghost " voiations, It did happend to me once a while. But as long we keep the commuation channel open and see the whole picture with specal situation there is no issue with that.

Thanks for being understanding this part.

Merci,Marc

BTW., To the OP the feixable conduct as long under 6 feet you are fine with this part.