Connecting ground wire to old wire?

Old 07-14-08, 09:01 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Connecting ground wire to old wire?

I am in the process of rewiring our house and I ran into a point where one breaker covers outlets on the first floor and switches/lights on the second floor. I do not want to rip up the walls going to the second floor because they are in good shape. All of the wire in the house is old 2-wire with no ground wire. Can I replace the wires from the breaker and between the outlets on the first floor and leave the old wire that goes upstairs as is?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-14-08, 09:52 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
So long as the breaker protecting the circuit is sized for the SMALLEST wire in the combined circuits there should be no problem. Keep in mind you can further protect the 2 wire circuit if desired or required by using a GFCI. A GFCI does not require a ground wire to operate.

Old 07-14-08, 12:02 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
No. The code allows you to leave existing circuits as-is or upgrade the entire the circuit to meet code. You cannot upgrade individual sections of a grandfathered circuit.

Your inspector may be willing to make an exception if you have a solid plan, but I would check with him before proceeding.