Deck lights

Old 07-14-08, 02:40 PM
Received 10 Votes on 9 Posts
Deck lights

I have a dedicated 15 Amp circuit that provides power for deck lighting. The lights plug in to a GFI receptacle mounted on a deck post. I want to remove the GFI and replace it with a wet area switch and hardwire the lights into the box. I have two other GFI receptacles on the deck so I don't mind losing the outlet. The only time it's ever used is for the lights.

I have two questions - the lights are rope lights with an outdoor rated lampcord. Can this be hardwired into the switch and secondly, does this circuit need to be GFI served from the SEP.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-14-08, 03:15 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by cwbuff View Post
I have two questions - the lights are rope lights with an outdoor rated lampcord. Can this be hardwired into the switch and secondly, does this circuit need to be GFI served from the SEP.
No it cannot be hardwired. Ropelights are manufactured for plug-in use only. You have to leave them on a receptacle with an in-use bubble cover. You could just replace the GFCI duplex receptacle with a combo GFCI receptacle/switch device. The circuit must be GFI-protected.

Old 07-14-08, 11:19 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The rope light that part if have factory cord attached you can not modifed at all.

You can add a combo GFCI/Switch as Ibpooks show you the photo of it.

If you need to know how to set up it let us know and how many wires are in the box ??

Merci,Marc