Replacing dual receptacle with switch/receptacle

Old 07-14-08, 05:21 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Replacing dual receptacle with switch/receptacle

Hi All,

After searching, I'm still at a loss of what to do. Here's my quandary:

I would like to replace a standard two plug outlet which is on a GFCI circuit in my kitchen with a combination switch and receptacle. I want the switch on it to control the receptacle which I will use to control some low voltage kitchen cabinet lighting.

When I remove the current outlet, There are two bigger cables - each with black, white and ground wires. Both black wires are attached on one side to the brass screws. Both white wires are attached on the other side. The ground wires are capped together with one single ground wire coming out and attached to the ground screw.

I purchased a single-pole switch with grounding outlet. The first question I have is - Can this be done? The second question is - how?

Thanks for your help!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-14-08, 05:27 PM
Code prohibits lighting on kitchen receptacle circuits. Plug-in lighting, however, would be a gray area.

Yes it can be done. The instructions that come with your combo device should explain how. Read the directions. If you still have questions, post the model number of the device (not all are wired the same way) and ask any questions here.

Your current wiring is very standard.

Old 07-14-08, 06:01 PM
John, Thanks for the quick response.

I bought a Leviton 5225-WSP Combination Switch/Receptacle. I've been looking at the instructions and still not sure. I'm pretty sure I have a common feed, but I'm not finding a wiring diagram for the GFCI circuit. There is a brass (A1) and silver (N) screw on one side of the new switch. On the other side are two black screws, one labeled COMMON and the ground screw. I was thought the black wires (hot) go to the silver/brass screws, but the instructions are saying the hot wires go to the black screws, and the black wire (load side) goes to the A1 terminal. Is there an easy way to understand what is going on here? Thanks.

Old 07-14-08, 08:33 PM
Originally Posted by mycubemate View Post

When I remove the current outlet, There are two bigger cables - each with black, white and ground wires. Both black wires are attached on one side to the brass screws. Both white wires are attached on the other side. The ground wires are capped together with one single ground wire coming out and attached to the ground screw.

[EDITED to make more sense]

Splice the two existing black wires together with a pigtail, splice the two white wires together with a pigtail, after you splice the blacks together in the box, just connect that pigtail to the A1 terminal, and the white pigtail to the silver screw and your done... and the ground goes to the grounding terminal.

Last edited by Chris75; 07-14-08 at 08:53 PM.