Generac Transfer Switch

Old 08-28-08, 12:07 PM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Generac Transfer Switch

I am trying to hook up a Generac transfer switch. I kind of understand the concept but confused about this. I am useing a 40amp 240 breaker in the main panel to power the transfer switch. I have 18 20amp breakers in my main panel and 1 50amp for the A/C. In the transfer switch I have 1 30 amp 1 20 amp and 6 15 amp breakers. What I am confused about is once I hook up several of these wires that were on the 20 amp breakers arent they now going to be running on just 15 amp circuits? TIA

Old 08-28-08, 01:42 PM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 45 Upvotes on 43 Posts
Are the breakers built-in to the transfer switch/panel or are they interchangeable?

Old 08-28-08, 04:46 PM
D
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I assume that this is the Generac model to which you are connecting a portable generator.
These panels are rated 100 amp so you could feed the xfer switch with 100 amps so you have access to more circuits.
If this is a manual setup you are allowed to manage the loads.
If it is automatic, everything must be sized for the connected load.
Those are Siemens plug in breakers and can be removed and replaced with whatever you want as long as you don't overload the panel.
How many circuits available in the xfer switch?

Old 08-28-08, 08:30 PM
P
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
The breakers are interchangeable. If I can change the 15amp breakers to 20 in the transfer switch then all would be good. On the other hand can I just try to tie in the wires connected to the 20 amp circuit in the main panel to the transfer switches 15 amp breakers and see if the 15 amp breaker trips? I doubt I am running over 15 amps on the 20 amp breakers anyway. Does this sound doable? Thanks.. BTW, the transfer switch has a 220 circuit that I will not even be using. I will probably just get a small 110 unit for A/C in case of a bad hurricane. I should have got the bigger unit to run my central A/C as well but unfortunantly it was not in the budget.

Old 08-29-08, 11:35 AM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 45 Upvotes on 43 Posts
It depends on the location of the circuit. Some of the circuits in the home are mandatory 20A like kitchen, bathroom and laundry. If your circuits are any of these, then you should stick with the 20A breaker. A standard 20A Siemens breaker should run about $3.50, so it's not a huge expense to replace them.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: