New Outlet In Concrete Wall

Old 07-17-08, 08:34 PM
New Outlet In Concrete Wall

I have an addition onto my house that I just bought and one room has basically 1 electrical outlet for the entire room. I need to add an outlet on the other wall. It is directly opposite an outlet that I just converted from 220V to 110V. The problem is that the wall is concrete. How hard is it to make this flush with the wall since there isnt any drywall to set it into? I dont need help with wiring diagrams, just on how to set it into the concrete wall and what type of box I need to obtain. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-17-08, 09:13 PM
Do you mean the outlet will back up to one on the other side of the wall you want to mount it on? If so wire access will be from the back of one to the back of the other?

Old 07-18-08, 12:33 AM
What kind of concrete wall you have ??

Poured wall

Hollow core block wall

If hollow core it may be a doable depending on if the filled in the core or not.

Once we know which type of concrete wall it is then we can go from there.

Merci,Marc

Old 07-18-08, 05:47 AM
Concrete wall

The wall is definately concrete block. How do I know if it is filled in? Drill a hole and look to see if its hollow?
Andrew

Old 07-18-08, 08:19 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Drilling in is the way to know for sure. You could also try to sound it out by lightly tapping on the wall with a hammer and trying to identify hollow sounds.

Once you identify the hollow in the block, you should mark the corners of the box and drill the four holes with a masonry bit. You can then connect the dots with a carbide grit blade in the sawzall or jigsaw. You could also "cut" it out by drilling several holes around the box and breaking the slug out with a hammer, but you will have a harder time fitting the box with such a jagged hole. Don't breathe the dust.

You can use either a plastic or a metal old-work box.

The vastly easier way to do this is to use Wiremold surface raceway and boxes. I will admit it looks a bit institutional, but so does a block wall.