replacing timer switch on GFI circuit

Old 07-19-08, 02:31 PM
replacing timer switch on GFI circuit

I'm replacing a timer switch on an existing gfi circuit -- the breaker is gfi -- the switch has four wires: red, black, white, and green. Since this isn't a three way switch, following the instructions with the switch, I don't connect the red. The instructions then say to connect green to ground, black to black, and white to white. I have two wires of each color in the box, so I am connecting the switch wire to both box wires, meaning three wires of each color are connected.

Switch works when on, but when switched off it trips GFI. Circuit works fine when wires are connected without the switch. The timer switch is Intermatic ST01C.

I'm stupid and can't figure it out. Probably a simple solution -- help!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-19-08, 02:48 PM
Before you attempted to install the timer was there a regular switch in place? If yes, were the two white wires connected together and the two black wire connected one each on the two screws of the switch?

If yes, then reconnect the two whites and then connect the two blacks to the white and black on the timer. It is possible that you have already destroyed the timer.

Old 07-19-08, 03:09 PM
The old switch was also a timer switch, but only for an exterior light (4A limit). I installed an outlet on the circuit for convenience outside, and replaced the switch with a 15A version.

I may not have paid close enough attention, but I don't think the old switch was connected as you describe. I wouldn't swear to it. I could rewire as you suggest if it makes sense to try it.

I don't think the switch has been ruined, as my multitester shows the switch continues to open and close the circuit.

Old 07-19-08, 03:24 PM
If there are two separate cables and each cable has a black and a white wire then the most likely scenario is that one cable is the power and the other cable is the lamp. Did you run the cable for the new receptacle from the lamp?

If yes to the above questions then do connect the white together and the blacks to the black and white on the new timer and test.

Old 07-19-08, 04:07 PM
Thanks Furd. I connected as you suggested, and it works fine.

Old 07-19-08, 05:59 PM
Glad I could help and thank you for letting everyone know it now works.