Exterior wall electrical outlet box options?

Old 07-22-08, 12:15 PM
Z
Received 124 Upvotes on 115 Posts
Exterior wall electrical outlet box options?

I’ve put in new electrical boxes for switches and outlets inside my house and garage and can do that fine. But I’d like to put an outlet in an exterior brick wall on my sister’s house. She’d like one for a wall fountain.

How do you go about making the cutout for the box in the brick? I’m only used to cutting sheetrock and plasterboard with a wall saw. I don’t want to screw up her nice brick wall. Or is cutting brick neatly something only a pro can do?

The outlet will be actually be hidden. Would there be an advantage to using something like a surface mounted gray PVC box instead? Is that an option? I know how to drill holes in brick with masonry bits.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Old 07-22-08, 12:27 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 194 Upvotes on 170 Posts
These are new and designed to be installed during the brick application. I do not think it would be too hard to try to retrofit though.

http://aifittings.com/whnew90.htm

I try to drill small holes in the brick like a perforation and cut with a brick chisel. I try to make my horizontal cuts along the mortar joints. You could also use a small grinder with a diamond blade to cut the brick.

Old 07-22-08, 12:46 PM
Z
Thanks pcboss -

The folks at that site are not kidding. Those boxes really do look nice! I think I'll look into them a little bit more.

Good idea about making the horizontal cuts along the mortar joints. Didn’t think of that. That certainly would be helpful. I have an excellent tool rental center near me. Could probably get the right stuff there with no problem.

Thanks again!

Old 07-22-08, 04:01 PM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 422 Upvotes on 375 Posts
Originally Posted by zoesdad
Would there be an advantage to using something like a surface mounted gray PVC box instead? Is that an option?
Using an outdoor box (like you suggested) would certainly be the easiest method. You'd then only have to drill a 1/2" hole through the brick to pass the cable through, use an NM clamp on the back, screw it into the brick and you'd be done. Of course don't forget to fill the hole with caulk as well as around the box to keep out rain and things that crawl. The only downside to this option is that it sticks out from the wall. Depending on where it's located and your sister will decide whether it's a valid option or not

Whichever way you go, you'll need to have an "in-use cover" which allows a plug to be installed and cover the receptacle if it's not in a protected location.

Old 07-22-08, 05:30 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 194 Upvotes on 170 Posts
The kit I posted above includes a weatherproof in use cover. It is flush, not like the clamshell covers commonly seen.

Old 07-23-08, 07:54 AM
Z
Thanks a lot guys!

Lot of very good information here. I'm going to my sisters this weekend and I'm going to sit down with her and we will step through the discussion posted here. It has all the good details. That way I won't forget anything (Didn’t think of the caulk. Always seem to forget about caulking ?). Will need the in use cover since I’m sure it’s not a protected location.

And she has a good looking kit to look at now if she wants to go that route.

Thanks again!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: