3 way switch/ timer switch

Old 07-21-08, 04:06 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
3 way switch/ timer switch

Hiya all.

I have 4 outside lights on a 3 way switch set up. One switch is next to the front door, and the other switch is in the garage. I bought a nice programable timer switch. I want to install the timer switch in place of the switch by the front door and remove the switch in the garage. Basically, making it a regular one switch set up. How can I accomplish this?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-21-08, 07:21 AM
Search on this forum, or google, for a wiring diagram of a three way setup. This will show you what you have, and it will be intuitive as to how to accomplish what you want. Basically, it will involve removing the un-used switch, and a certain pair of wires their will need to be jumped.

Old 07-21-08, 07:30 AM
Note carefully the requirements of your new programmable timer switch. Some have a battery and some require a neutral wire connection and some may require both (using the battery for backup only). If yours requires a neutral connection, then look carefully in the box of the switch you want to keep. There must be at least two white wires in that box that are connected to each other but not to the switch. If yours does not need a neutral connection, then you are good to go in either case.

Go to the switch you want to remove. There will be three wires connected to it (not counting ground). Disconnect these three wires from the switch and connect them all together with a wire nut. Put a blank cover plate over the box (by code, it must remain permanently accessible).

Now go to the switch you want to keep. Before you disconnect anything, examine it closely. One of the three screws (again, not counting ground) will be black in color. Remove one of the other two wires (either one--doesn't matter which), and cap it off with a wire nut (to isolate it from everything). Then connect the remaining two wires to your new timer switch.

Old 07-22-08, 04:51 AM
Thanks guys. I will give it a shot tonight.

Funny thing is I can wire an aircraft, but home wiring messes me up.