Installing Meter and panel for guest house.

Old 07-21-08, 01:37 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Talking Installing Meter and panel for guest house.

I am putting an additional meter on my house to feed a 100amp panel I have installed in a new guest house. The electric company came out and told me they were just going to splice onto the exsisting underground wire suppling my house. The wires that connect to my meter are aluminum, look like about 1/0 and 2/0. Can I use aluminum wire to connect the service panel on the guest house? I have had a few people tell me you can't use aluminum wire for any application now. True?
The run from meter to panel is about 60 feet. I'm beheld to what ever the codes are in Orange County, CA Any advice concerning my project would be appreciated. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 07-21-08, 02:15 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Aluminum wiring is standard in Service Entrance cables. Anytime it is used against another type metal such as brass or copper you must coat the wire and the connector with something like NoAlOx to keep the metals from oxidizing. Price copper for your 60 foot run and you will be jogged back into your senses, real fast. You didn't say how you would be hooking up the meter, whether at your residence or on the guest house, so I guess you have that all figured out with the blessings of the POCO.

Old 07-21-08, 02:16 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by msm649 View Post
Can I use aluminum wire to connect the service panel on the guest house? I have had a few people tell me you can't use aluminum wire for any application now. True?
Most areas in the US allow aluminum conductors as feeders (main wires between meters and panels). There are a few places I've heard of that ban aluminum completely, but that is a rare situation.

The run from meter to panel is about 60 feet.
Again, most all jurisdictions would allow #2 aluminum service entrance cable for a 100A panel, but you should check with your electrical inspector. If you are on the 2008 electrical code or if for some reason this outbuilding is not considered a dwelling, you may need to increase to #1 aluminum.

I'm beheld to what ever the codes are in Orange County, CA
Your local building department will have to tell you that as codes are enforced locally. Usually it's based on a revision of the National Electric Code -- probably 2005 or 2008.