Old Hot Tub Wiring - How to "Cap"

Old 07-21-08, 02:48 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Old Hot Tub Wiring - How to "Cap"

We just sold our hot tub and our patio now has a large cable laying on it. (It comes up from below through conduit - about 10ft of cable is coiled on the patio.

How should I protect the cable ends? I've got the breaker box shut off and locked out but I don't want to leave the bare wires exposed nor cut the cable at the conduit.

Suggestions? Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-21-08, 03:08 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
It depends on whether or not you want to allow another hot tub to be installed there in the future. If you do, then you need to "cap" this at the very end. If you do not, then you should disconnect the wires as close to the source as possible. You could simply remove the wire from the breaker itself and cap it there. This would be safest (assuming you don't kill yourself disconnecting the wire inside the panel).

If you want to cap it at the hot-tub end, then just securely put a wire nut on the end of each wire, and do your best to make sure the box is never opened.

Seriously, if people are going to go around opening electrical boxes and poking their fingers inside, there is not much you can do to protect them.