Outlets not working

Old 07-21-08, 08:19 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Outlets not working

Hi, I was hoping if you guys can help me with a electrical problem. After living in my house for a year, I notice that 1 of the 3 outlets in the loft area suddenly went out. Now all 3 of them are not working. I checked the breaker for the loft and it didn't jump. But if I press the test button it doesn't jump like the other breakers. Could it be the loft breaker going bad or can it be other things going wrong? I need help ASAP, due to a baby is on the way and we need the loft outlets tobe working. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 07-21-08, 10:04 PM
see the message in this forum -

"Dead circuit, but breaker and GFI's are fine"

which is a similar problem to yours. Depending on your capability you need a tester and you need to determine just what is out on the circuit. Everything or just these outlets? It could be a problem with connections at one of the outlets, the one closest to the feed if you can determine that. It also could be at the last good one that is feeding the first bad one.

In any event you need to pull some outlets and do some snooping with the power off. Even if it is not working there is still the possibility that there is power in the box, so be careful.

In any of these outlets have the "push in" rather than screw type connection they should be replaced.

Old 07-22-08, 06:14 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 23 Votes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by dsc3507 View Post
In any of these outlets have the "push in" rather than screw type connection they should be replaced.
Instead of replacing these you could just move the wires t0
the side screw terminals. Make a clockwise loop and place under the screw and tighten.

Old 07-22-08, 06:18 AM
At $2 or so a pop, unless you are really tight for money or you can't get to the store and just have to have it working, I would replace them.

Old 07-22-08, 04:38 PM
Exclamation

Ok I'll try that. Any other suggestions I would greatly appreciate it.

Last edited by CivicSiR7; 07-22-08 at 05:06 PM.