4" PVC conduit

Old 07-22-08, 08:18 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
4" PVC conduit

My trenching contractor and I are preparing for a utility company extension of power to my new house. The utility requires us to run 4 inch PVC conduit for the power and 2" PVC for the telephone (they pull the electrical wire). We have extensive specs from them on how to trench it etc, but..... what's a good source for 4" PVC conduit? We have to run 600 feet and so will buy a lot. I've identified the major manufacturers, but can't find a good retail source (my Home Depot doesn't carry that large size for example)

Many thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Old 07-22-08, 08:30 PM
nap
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
your local electrical supply house. Some will sell retail, some won;t.

600 feet That is a long service lateral.

Old 07-22-08, 11:07 PM
F
The electrical supply centre will stock this but with that much you may want to give them a head up so they can order it ahead of the time.

660 feet is pretty serious run there.

Is that for Pimary { high voltage 12.4 KV } or secondary { low voltage ( 120/240 Volts )} ?

Is your POCO { powercompany } will pull the wires in there or not ?

The other thing that you will need two diffrent verison of 4 inch PVC they have in shedule 40 { med thick wall } and shedule 80 { thick wall }

The shedule 80 is used when you come up from the ground so it will give you some protection and make sure you ask them for wide sweep 90 ell { it will make it easier to pull large conductors } { trust me on this part I pull alot of monster sized cables so I know how it will be done } IIRC they are 36 inches radius so you know it is wide sweep there.

Merci,Marc

Old 07-23-08, 06:17 AM
C
Thanks for the replies. yes, it's a long run. They have specified Schedule 40, however your note about sched 80 when it comes out of the ground and the wide radius sweeps are good points and I will ask them. They will pull the wires, and I imagine they will only pull 120/240v. I thought 4" was way overkill for this (but there are potentially 2 more houses on this run further down the street). The large size probably has more to do with ease of pulling the cable as anything else.

Time to go shopping - it's going to be expensive, as I notice that 2" PVC is over $0.50/foot - I imagine that 4" will be 4 or 5 times this!

Old 07-23-08, 06:29 AM
nap
Marc, I haven;t used much HDPE conduit but to me, this job just screams out for it. Any idea of a price comaprison with HPDE v. PVC? 600 feet!

casey, Marc and I are both pro electricians so little discussions like this happen once in awhile. What I am asking about is HDPE (high density polyethylene) conduit which comes in rolls rather than 10' sections. For long runs, it can be easier than PVC but I have no idea as to the costs of the materials.

Obviously, if it were a better thing for you, you would have to ask the POCO if it was acceptable as well.

just trying to save you a buck and a back.

Old 07-23-08, 07:08 AM
F
Nap.,,

I am glad you brought up this one with the HDPE conduit and Honestly I havent check the price for quite a while and this been found very common with the boring methold IIRC I think it somehow cheaper but how much that part I don't know for sure.

TO OP.,,

If your POCO do allowed HDPE for the trenching run then it is good to go due it much quicker than 4 inch PVC conduit runs.

But 660 feet run on secondary lateral { underground cable run } I am sure POCO will use larger than standard underground cable size otherwise they will run primary cables and set up a transfomer pad little closer to your house { about 200~250 feet range that part I know for sure most POCO will do that way to advoid some voltage drop issue with it }

Merci,Marc

P.S. Nap I just got done buried 4 inch galvized ridge pipe {hevey walled steel pipe } not too long ago it was a good back killer task there.

Old 07-23-08, 07:22 AM
nap
Originally Posted by french277V View Post

P.S. Nap I just got done buried 4 inch galvized ridge pipe {hevey walled steel pipe } not too long ago it was a good back killer task there.
thank goodness most folks around here don;t want to spend that kind of money. Most opt for PVC and my back thanks them. I'm getting too old to run 4" rigid.

Old 07-23-08, 07:27 AM
F
Nap.,,

Normally yes I do agree with you but that sretch of 4 inch rigid conduct I have good reason why because I have to run rigid due I have MV circuit { 7200 Volts} and it have to be enclosed in rigid.

Merci,Marc

Old 07-23-08, 07:39 AM
D
Seems strange that they (the power co.) is giving you the responsibility for the run especially since it sounds like it is in a potential neighborhood?? Is this a run down a street? So you have to pay for a trench and conduit that your future neighbors will share?

Old 07-23-08, 08:11 AM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
I agree that you should ask about HDPE duct. Not only should it be cheaper, but it comes in 100', 250' and 500' reels so you don't have to cement a joint every 10' or 20' like you would with PVC.

Old 07-23-08, 08:37 AM
nap
Originally Posted by dsc3507 View Post
Seems strange that they (the power co.) is giving you the responsibility for the run especially since it sounds like it is in a potential neighborhood?? Is this a run down a street? So you have to pay for a trench and conduit that your future neighbors will share?
I feel the same way but in support of the possibility:

last summer I wired a septic lift station for a new business. It was on his property and it was powered from his building.

The city required him to install is and told him that when the property next to his was developed, they were allowed to hook into this lift station.

So, not only did he have to pay for the neighbors lift station, he has to pay for the electricity to run the thing. I don;t know who is going to maintain the thing once this happens but if it were me, I would be telling the city it's all theirs. If they don;t like it, I would turn off my electrical service for awhile to make my point.