lights dimming

Old 07-27-08, 03:24 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
lights dimming

I have a mobile home that the lights dim and some things like microwave, fan etc won't always power up all the way. I am getting 120 volts at the outlets. I was checking the disconnect at the pedestal that supplies power to the house and I am getting the right voltage of 230 from the meter and at the breaker. BUT I am also getting about 30 volts coming from the neutral bar. If I pull the breaker out, there is no voltage from the neutral, only when breaker is in. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Old 07-27-08, 03:46 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 112 Votes on 97 Posts
What does the voltage measurement do when a load like a motor starting is imposed on your panel? Be sure to check both hot legs to neutral.

If one leg goes up and the other leg goes down by the same or similar amount you have a loose neutral somewhere in your system. For example one leg =160 volts, the other would be 80 volts.

Loose neutrals can cause you to loose appliances. Call your power company NOW and have them come out and check their connections. Most should do this for free. If they do not find anything it is time to call an eletrician.

How are you measuring voltage on the neutral? Neutral to ground?

Old 07-28-08, 12:23 AM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Have the POCO check the system at the meter box to make sure their side is fine.

where you read the 30 volts??

From netual to ground ? if that the case you have loose or corroded netual wire.

Let us know.

Merci,Marc

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: