yet another 220v question.

Old 07-27-08, 06:16 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
yet another 220v question.

I need to wire a 220 outlet for a hot water heater, but only have one spot open on my breaker panel. How do I cross this hurdle ?

THANKS

Old 07-27-08, 06:26 PM
D
You probably can get double breakers for you panel. This is a 120 volt only, 15 or 20A breaker that fits in one slot but serves two circuits. All you need to do is free up one adjacent slot for the double pole 220 breaker for the hot water heater.

If all you slots already have double breakers then you have a problem but that is unlikely. That would also probably be an overloaded panel in that case.

What brand panel do you have? What is the main rating? How old?

Old 07-27-08, 07:05 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 103 Votes on 89 Posts
Not all panels are listed for use with tandem breakers. There is also a limit to the number of breakers in a panel.

A panel that is full is not necessarily overloaded. The only way to tell is to perform a demand load calculation.

Could you supply the model number of your panel?

Old 07-27-08, 07:07 PM
B
I have a Square D, 100 amp lug panel, with 12 spaces. I've thought about combining three wall outlets (one breaker) and a few lights(one breaker) in order to free up a space for the double 30 amp breaker that I could use for the water heater.

Thanks

Old 07-28-08, 01:04 AM
F
What room do that three receptales is feed to ? and the light as well.,,

The reason why I ask the question due the code some of the circuit have to be delacted circuit.

You should able find the model number like QO1224M100 or something like that it should be on the door cover or in the tub on either side of the panel box { after you take the cover off you should see a tag on it. Only do that if you feel comfortble with that if not let us know }

Merci,Marc

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: