Color of wire on hot tub circuit

Reply

  #1  
Old 07-28-08, 03:45 PM
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 51
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Color of wire on hot tub circuit

I'm wiring my spa.

I just installed a 50 amp GFCI subpanel.

The subpanel has 2 breakers (30 and 20)

The wires that go to the spa from the panel are as follows:
From the 30 amp (A red and a blue 10 awg)
From the 20 amp (Red, blue and white 12 awg)
The ground is a 10 awg

I was at 2 different stores and it seems like blue 10awg is not easy to find. So I used black instead of blue on the 10awg 30 amp, part.

Is this OK?
I'm not sure if this is a code or just a recommendation of the spa maker.

Thanks
 
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 07-28-08, 05:10 PM
Member
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: NE Wis / Paris France{ In France for now }
Posts: 4,808
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
That is not very typical colour used on resdentil spa circuit

If both red and bleu is true 240 volt circuit then yes it is ok.

dittio with 20 amp circuit red and bleu is hot conductor while white is netual then it should be correct.

Double check the connection at the spa control panel typically L1 is hot while L2 useally hot conductor while N is netual so double check the connection to make sure you are on safe side.

{ Typically if you have european verison the bleu will be netural so just a head up with it }

If some reason you can't find bleu yes you can use black as long it is a hot conductor and make a note on the panel box so someone will know it in future.

Merci,Marc
 
  #3  
Old 07-28-08, 05:17 PM
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 51
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If some reason you can't find bleu yes you can use black as long it is a hot conductor and make a note on the panel box so someone will know it in future.
Since black is typically used as a hot conductor, why would I mark the panel box?

The spa manufacturer is telling me to use blue which is what I couldn't find. I want to replace the hot blue with a hot black.
 
  #4  
Old 07-28-08, 05:19 PM
Member
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 131
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by carlg View Post
I'm wiring my spa.

I just installed a 50 amp GFCI subpanel.

The subpanel has 2 breakers (30 and 20)

The wires that go to the spa from the panel are as follows:
From the 30 amp (A red and a blue 10 awg)
From the 20 amp (Red, blue and white 12 awg)
The ground is a 10 awg

I was at 2 different stores and it seems like blue 10awg is not easy to find. So I used black instead of blue on the 10awg 30 amp, part.

Is this OK?
I'm not sure if this is a code or just a recommendation of the spa maker.

Thanks
To be honest, I would use two blacks #10 for the 30a and two blacks and a white for the 20a. The only time colors matter is for grounded/neutral (white or gray) and grounding/ground (green) conductors....
 
  #5  
Old 07-28-08, 05:22 PM
Member
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: NE Wis / Paris France{ In France for now }
Posts: 4,808
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The reason why I say that in case someone in the future do the work on the system and get confused with the wire colour set up.

Normally with the NEC code the only colour you don't want to mess with it is.,,

• Grey

• White *

• Green

• Orange { used with delta system }

I highlited the white can be remarked for switch loop or part of cable but very limited scope cover on that

a good example is switch loop the other one is white as hot conductor on two wire 240 volt circuit only.


But otherwise if you can get the bleu wire out you can do that and have correct colour conductor.

{ The North America colour code ( bleu ) is typically hot conductor while European system it is differnt it is netual }

Merci,Marc
 

Last edited by french277V; 07-28-08 at 05:25 PM. Reason: fix up the wordings
  #6  
Old 07-28-08, 05:24 PM
Member
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 131
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by french277V View Post
The reason why I say that in case someone in the future do the work on the system and get confused with the wire colour set up.

Normally with the NEC code the only colour you don't want to mess with it is.,,

• Grey

• White *

• Green

• Orange { used with delta system }

I highlited the white can be remarked for switch loop or part of cable but very limited scope cover on that

a good example is switch loop the other one is white as hot conductor on two wire 240 volt circuit only.

Merci,Marc

Marc, its two 240v circuits at two different amperages, how on earth is someone going to get confused? And guess what, if they do, its time to close the cover back up and walk away and call someone thats qualified.
 
  #7  
Old 07-28-08, 05:28 PM
Member
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: NE Wis / Paris France{ In France for now }
Posts: 4,808
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris75 View Post
Marc, its two 240v circuits at two different amperages, how on earth is someone going to get confused? And guess what, if they do, its time to close the cover back up and walk away and call someone thats qualified.

Ya Chris you sum it up in nice way

The OP have two diffrent wire size there both #10 and #12 there and a good person can able indentify it but if can't best to leave this to the qualifed person to deal with it.

Merci,Marc
 
  #8  
Old 07-30-08, 09:52 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Near Lansing, Michigan
Posts: 10,944
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by carlg View Post
Is this OK?
I'm not sure if this is a code or just a recommendation of the spa maker.
The black is okay, blue and red is just a recommendation. Hot wires may be any color other than white, gray or green.
 
Reply

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
 
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: