electricity to small shed

Old 07-28-08, 04:47 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question electricity to small shed

i recently built a small storage shed and decided to run power to it. i ran a 10/2 underground wire from my main panel in my house. Since i have no need for 220, I opted for just 110 to the shed so I installed a 20amp breaker to put the shed on its own circuit. after some friendly advice, i decided to put in a small breaker panel in my shed to run 2 additional circuits. one for the inside and outside light and switch, and the other for the 4 electrical outlets. i was told i could purchase a small breaker panel at my local hardware store since i didnt have the need for a great big one (like my main panel). my question is, how do i wire up the breaker panel in my shed for 2 additional breakers, or is this even possible and better yet is it safe?????

Sponsored Links
Old 07-28-08, 07:18 PM
D
In a small shed like this I do not see the need for more than one circuit. It probably would be best to just leave it at that.

To be code you need to have a switch to turn all power off before it goes to anything else in the building. You say you have a 20A breaker in the house serving this circuit. If that is not a GFCI breaker you need to also have the shed circuit pass through a GFCI outlet after the switch. This outlet can them serve more outlets in the shed and the light you mentioned.

The circuit has to be GFCI protected. You can either use a GFCI breaker in the house or as mentioned above the first outlet can be a GFCI. The breaker would be about $30-40 and the GFCI outlet $8-$10 or so.

There was some talk in a prior message that wiring in a non dwelling building could not be exposed UF. Plastic conduit is cheap and makes a nice looking system. This might be a better way to go.

How did you run the cable to the shed?

Old 07-28-08, 07:42 PM
C
yes i do have a GFCI breaker in my main panel for the shed circuit,sorry forgot to mention that.

the shed is aprx 50' from the house. i had a trench dug about 2' deep. i used 10/2 outdoor rated cable (grey in color). i had thought about running it through pvc but taking some advice from my hardware store they said it should be ok.

thanks for the advice. i'll just keep the one circuit for lights and outlets and 86 the secondary breaker box!

Old 07-29-08, 10:02 AM
Hi, so finishing the inside of a shed with NM is not permitted. Even if stapled properly to the inside of studs and joists?
Thanks
Bob

Old 07-29-08, 10:11 AM
D
Technically under the latest code I don't think so but it may be open to interpretation. Others I am sure will have comments.

Old 07-29-08, 11:39 AM
D
I typo'ed on the last message it should read -

Technically under the latest code I DO think so

If that is officially the case that means new construction/installation. You don't have to rip out or replace your old installation. It does make some sense though. The wires in these areas would be subjected to possible abuse by all kinds of sharp objects. It might add $20 to the installation for PVC but it is a good investment.

Old 07-29-08, 01:34 PM
C
Originally Posted by Bernard_01 View Post
Hi, so finishing the inside of a shed with NM is not permitted. Even if stapled properly to the inside of studs and joists?
Thanks
Bob

It can be used, but is must be covered up by a 15 min finish rating, such as sheetrock.

Old 07-29-08, 05:31 PM
D
Well you would have to be a little nutty to sheetrock a shed so it meets code. Put it in plastic conduit. Home Depot or Lowes has all the parts.

Old 07-30-08, 05:35 AM
Technically speaking, I guess only the stud and rafter bays that the cables are in need to be covered.....correct?

THANKS
Bob

Old 07-30-08, 10:58 AM
D
But why would you do that in a shed? Only makes a place for vermin to breed and moisture to get trapped. You would be solving one problem and creating others. PVC is cheap and makes a nice installation.