main lug panel

Old 07-30-08, 04:02 AM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
main lug panel

My distribution panel is a 150 amp main lug load center. I have not found a main disconnect. Does this mean I have to call the power company if I want to be safe when I replace breakers. Note: there is a 60 amp breaker in the top part of the panel that appears to be wired to the hot bus supplying the lower amperage breakers

Old 07-30-08, 06:59 AM
S
Talking

Sounds like a split-bus panel, which I don't know enough about to advise anyone, others will chime in, can't wait.

Old 07-30-08, 07:17 AM
F
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
A 60 amp breaker to control the lower half of the breaker box is dead giveaway and they were used to be pretty common in that era time peroid but now no it is not allowed so.,

If you are replaceing the breakers on lower half you are ok on that part However .,, the upper half of breaker box buss bar stay hot they were designed for the " 6 throw " rules on upper half but they were very easly abused due some of the peoples put a single pole breaker on upper half of the split buss breaker box.

Depending on what manufacter name on the breaker box some can able swap pretty easy when they are still hot on upper half { Warning this part useally done by electricians only for safety reason }

What brand breaker box you have there some of them you need to get the POCO to come out and disconnect the meter for short while when you are replaceing the breaker.

Merci,Marc

Old 07-30-08, 09:40 AM
F
All the homes I have owned had main breaker panels, this is my first encounter with a main lug panel. When I saw the 60 amp breaker wired to the lower part of the bus I suspected the bus was split but wasn't sure. Thanks, French277v for answering my question.

Old 07-31-08, 12:23 AM
F
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Sure I am glad I can help ya

Here the example what it look like { This is very simuair to other manufacters done like that }

as you noticed the top 6 double pole breakers are used as " main " and that time it was legal for that era but by current code with this type of split buss it is no longer allowed due too easy to abuse the code.

By the way If your breaker box is over 30 years old or older on breaker box it will be wise idea to plan to change the breaker box not too far in future when you plan to upgrade the system { Normally this useally be done by Electrician due few code realated issuse will come up }

Merci,Marc

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: