Planning a small kitchen. Need advise on wiring.

Old 07-30-08, 05:20 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Planning a small kitchen. Need advise on wiring.

Howdy mates. I'm planning a small kitchen in my basement. And I definitely would like to get some advise on the wiring aspect. First of all a few notes on what I want to do.

The space is quite limited. Therefore I don't plan on putting a dishwasher in. A garbage disposer is not in the picture either because I don't want the extra work. What I do plan to put in there is a range, a range hood, a regular sized fridge (nothing fancy), a microwave, and a small toaster oven.

What I have learned so far from other posts is that I'll need a 40amp receptacle for my range, and a dedicated outlet for my fridge. And I'll need 8 gauge wires for the 40amp circuit.

The tough part (at this planning stage) is actually in my breaker box. I see only 3 more empty slots. In my basement, I have 1 breaker shared by the lights and AV entertainment units; 1 more currently used by my washer (which will be removed); and 1 more shared by a small room and the washroom adjacent to it . So I guess I have in total 6 slots that I can play with to make this work. Is this enough? Is there a way to use these slots "economically"? Also, is there special circuitry needed for my range hood? And please let me know if I have neglected anything (which I'm sure I have). Thank you very much.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-30-08, 07:09 PM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 107 Votes on 99 Posts
You're on the right track!

You're going to need two 20A GFI protected circuits for the receptacles along the countertop. They need to be within 2' of the end of the counter and sink, and 4' between each other measured along the back wall. Granted, you may want to add a few extra if you'd like.

If you are using a countertop microwave, it can simply plug into one of the countertop circuits (just make sure you put a receptacle where you need one). If it's a built-in microwave, it most likely will need its own circuit.

The fridge can be fed off of one of the countertop circuits, but if you have the space in your panel, it's probably better to keep it on its own circuit. 15A is sufficient, 20A if you're planning for the future. If you decide to power it off one of the countertop circuits, try to plan it so the fridge and the microwave aren't on the same circuit as that will likely cause breaker trips.

The range hood (if it's just a fan and not a microwave hood) can be powered off any lighting or other nearby circuit (to include the fridge circuit), but can NOT be connected to either of the 2 countertop circuits.

I'd check to see if your panel can accept tandem "skinny" breakers. If you post the make & model, someone here will certainly be able to help.

As you're probably figuring out, the kitchen is most often the most electrically intensive room in the house with the most applicable codes... if you have questions, ask!

Old 07-31-08, 08:21 AM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 43 Votes on 41 Posts
The range is typically installed with #8/3g cable, 40A double-pole breaker, and 14-50R range receptacle.

You are required to have (2) 20A small-appliance branch circuits which feed only countertop receptacles. The fridge receptacle may be connected to one of these circuits. Given that this is a small kitchen, I would probably put the fridge on one of the circuits and the countertop receptacles on the other.

If you range hood is hardwired, it may connect to your lighting circuit. However, if the range hood is cord-and-plug connected it must have a dedicated 20A circuit/receptacle located in the cabinet above the range.

Can you identify the make and model of your breaker panel? Usually it is printed on the label inside the panel cover door. You may be able to use tandem breakers to free up some space. If not, you will need to install a subpanel to accommodate the new circuits.