Sprinkler Zones Water Not Coming

Old 07-31-08, 10:45 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Sprinkler Zones Water Not Coming

I have 9 zone sprinkler system but when I turn it on water does not come out even when time is left on the controller. But when I manually turn it on from the box outside in the ground water comes out but does not stop when the timer ends.
What should I look for?
Thanks
Tariq.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-31-08, 11:15 AM
All zones or just 1? If all, you either have a bad controller or a broken wire. If just 1, you probably have a bad solenoid. The solenoid will probably be found in the box outside where you're manually turning on the water. It's the part that has the wires connected to it. Unscrew it and (with controller unplugged and turned off) cut or disconnect the wires. Take it to your local landscape supply or home improvement store and get a replacement. Be sure to pick up some waterproof connectors (grease caps) to reconnect the wires.

Doug M.

Old 07-31-08, 11:26 AM
Angry

Originally Posted by dougm View Post
All zones or just 1? If all, you either have a bad controller or a broken wire. If just 1, you probably have a bad solenoid. The solenoid will probably be found in the box outside where you're manually turning on the water. It's the part that has the wires connected to it. Unscrew it and (with controller unplugged and turned off) cut or disconnect the wires. Take it to your local landscape supply or home improvement store and get a replacement. Be sure to pick up some waterproof connectors (grease caps) to reconnect the wires.

Doug M.
Thanks for the email. Its all 9 zones, I guess it would be a broken wire somewhere as we got our basement finished. But where that would be a task as I have a drywall Ceiling.
T

Old 07-31-08, 12:29 PM
There could be lots of possible explanations. Do you own a multimeter?

Old 07-31-08, 02:35 PM
Make sure all the wires are properly landed and tight on the controller before doing anything else. Then, make sure the controller is plugged in and getting power. Some have battery backup to retain memory and they might also power the display, but they won't power the valves. To eliminate the chance that you have a bad controller, measure voltage at the controller between an active zone terminal and the neutral terminal. You should get 24V. From there you know that with all 9 zones out, either the entire cable was cut or the neutral wire was. Find the point where the cable exits the house sill and make sure it's fully in tact (no damage). If so, the problem is most likely behind the new drywall and it's probably not worth trying to find. Just run a new cable between the controller and the point where the wires exit the sill. Hopefully they all exit in a single cable at one point. The cable is available with proper number of wires at your local home improvement store, but you may have to ask for it in electrical - 10 conductor probably won't be pre-packaged. I would install a simple 4X4 water tight electrical box on the outside wall and make all my splices there. Good luck. Don't waste a whole lot of time diagnosing. This stuff is too cheap to mess with.

Doug M.

Doug M.