Refrigerator circuit

Old 08-02-08, 04:19 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Refrigerator circuit

I am wiring a basement that is being finished. Does the refrigerator need a dedicated circuit or can I tie it in with some other outlets.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-02-08, 05:48 PM
Originally Posted by scotty18 View Post
I am wiring a basement that is being finished. Does the refrigerator need a dedicated circuit or can I tie it in with some other outlets.
No, you can plug it in anywhere. (its just not always the best design)

Old 08-02-08, 09:00 PM
Just design your circuits in a manner that none of them will be overloaded. So figure out how much power your refrigerator needs and what else will be on the circuit. It is probably a bad idea to put the refrigerator on a circuit with incandescent lighting, since the lighting will flicker every time the refrigerator cycles. It also might be a bad idea putting it on the same circuit as a TV, since the TV make also flicker or have interference.

If this refrigerator is part of a kitchen, then a whole lot of other rules apply.

Old 08-03-08, 12:58 PM
The other thing to add here if you are on 2008 code and if you have finshed basement room[s] then you have to use the AFCI per NEC code requirement.

And John Nelson gave you a head up with the kitchen reqirement so keep in your mind with that arrangement.

Merci,Marc

Old 08-03-08, 06:00 PM
Thanks for the tips. I had forgotten about the AFCI's, so I looked in the Wiring Simplified book and it does read that all recep's minus GFCI's need to be protected by an AFCI breaker. Didn't see anything about light circuits though

Old 08-04-08, 06:01 AM
Scotty18.,

The AFCI do included the lighting circuit as well execpt what is allready served with GFCI like bathroom , kitchen , garage receptale circuit those allready on GFCI { yeah outdoor also }

but the lighting circuit it have to be AFCI

However check with your local inspector office for head up with smoke alarm circuit { In fact some states will not allow the smoke alarm to be on AFCI so check that out to make sure you legal in your area }

Merci,Marc