Extending GFCI circuit

Old 08-02-08, 07:31 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Extending GFCI circuit

I have a GFI outlet in my garage but it is behind some tool carts. I'd like to move it about 3 feet further along the wall to make it more accessable to family members in event it needs to be reset. I can access the inside of the wall via a crawl space and would like to insall a new receptical and GFI outlet, run romex to existing box and tie it in to existing wiring (extend the circuit). The origianl box would be covered with a face plate. Will this work with a GFI outlet and would I be compliant with code?
Will

Sponsored Links
Old 08-02-08, 07:42 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
As long as you don't permanently occlude the blank cover plate, you can extend the wiring using the existing box as an junction box, run new romex from that box to a new one, and install the gfci in it. Is this the only receptacle in your garage? They all must be protected, so if they are all on the same circuit, you can install a gfci breaker and protect them all, and resetting will be easy, too.

Old 08-02-08, 08:43 PM
Be careful. Depending on when your house was built, you may find that this garage GFCI is protecting receptacles elsewhere, such as bathrooms, porches or the basement. Make sure you don't accidentally remove the GFCI protection from these other outlets.

Old 08-04-08, 12:29 AM
Follow up report.
I installed the new j-box and extended both load and line inputs to it using standard romex. Splices in original receptical are accessable and covered with face plate. Installed new GFI outlet and all circuits test good with protection to other outlets on this circuit as before. Interesting find was that builder had used wire inserts in GFI vs wrapping wire around screw terminals on outlet. I prefer using terminals for a more secure connection. (Means the rest of the outlets in the 9 year old house are probably the same.)
John and Chandler, Thanks for the advice.
Will