Underground wire probably broken

Old 08-03-08, 05:44 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Underground wire probably broken

I bought an old farm, and there is a barn that used to have power. I see a wire that is direct buried coming out of the ground, but there is no voltage. The electric source is from a stable about 800 feet away. The breaker for the barn is on of course, and has voltage on the downstream side. So obviously the wire is interrupted somewhere. Problem is, I don't know where, and don't even know the path the wire takes.

Are there any inexpensive tricks to trace a wire such as this? I don't want to buy one of the expensive wire locating units. I have seen a technician trace a buried wire for a dog fence using an AM radio. I guess the signal from the fence controller would cause static on a nearby radio. Is there anything I could hook the wire to in order to trace it? (No, I don't have an electric fence controller)

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 08-03-08, 09:09 AM
How about using a metal detector to follow the wiring?

Old 08-03-08, 09:12 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Or get in good with one of the POCO guys and ask them to trace it for you. They have the expensive equipment and may do it for you without charge.

Old 08-03-08, 09:36 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
What about calling the national utility number (what the heck is it) for buried cable and gas lines? Just tell 'em you need to do some trenching or put up a fence?

Or do they only do the main connections?

Guess it wouldn't work if you have everything on poles either.

Oh well...random thoughts.

Old 08-03-08, 12:42 PM
If this underground cable buried if after the meter/ main breaker then the best move is get a hold of electrician some of them do have underground tracer device and they can able find it.

But if it was before the meter like from High voltage wire going underground then POCO will trace it.

Few POCO may do look for non uility cable aka privite cable { after the metering device }

But if the latter cable run between the buildings IMO the electrician can able do this for small fee how much that part I don't know depending on how many breaks and the set up and how deep as well.

Merci,Marc

Old 08-03-08, 08:25 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Gunguy, here it is 800-282-7411. I have to call it weekly, or at least recite it to someone else who is having to dig. They may even trace a secondary for you if you tell them you intend to dig in a certain area. They won't chance not locating for you.