Bonding to cast waste line: necessary?

Old 08-03-08, 06:00 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Bonding to cast waste line: necessary?

I had a new panel put in last year and when the bonded all of the metal supply and wast lines together they bonded the 2" branch waste line (cast iron) at a point just above the clean out where it goes through the slab.

I want to replace that branch line with plastic and will need to remove the section where the gound clamp is located. There is a bit of slack on the cable so I can move it to the cast iron clean out port. Here is my question....

Is it necessary to bond the waste line?

If so, I need a gounding clamp to go around a 4" diameter clean out 'Y', which I can't find. The alternative could be to place the ground wire under a stainlees hose clamp.

Could someone tell me ehat the code requires and how I could meet it given the large pipe I have to attache to?

Thanks,
David J

Sponsored Links
Old 08-04-08, 09:16 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
Water lines and gas lines are addressed directly, but all that the code states about other metal surfaces is that they must be bonded if they are "...likely to be energized..." So it leaves things like cast iron or copper waste lines at the discretion of the electrician or inspector.

I usually do not bond waste lines. You could call your local electrical inspector's office and ask what their policy is.

If you choose to bond it, you can get a 4" bonding clamp, but probably only from an electrical supply house. That size is pretty common for commercial or industrial sites.

Old 08-04-08, 06:36 PM
I am pretty much the same as Ibpooks been talking about.

Let me highlight little more clearer on this one due most modern castiron pipes the coupling pieces they have rubber gasket to connect the pipes together and it pretty effectivelly insluating the cast iron pipes.

And yeah the electrical supply centre will stock this big a bonding pipe clamp.

Merci,Marc

Old 08-04-08, 10:00 PM
from OP

The pipe in question had lead in the hubs (1950's). Anyway when I cut off the vertical 2" cast pipe the 'Y' that went through the concrete slab was cracked right at the floor level and lifted right out of the concrete. The 'Y' was what I wanted to save and attache the ground too. The crack looked old with the cracked edge a nasty black. It never leaked so the weight of the pipe must have held it together. The grounding issue is very minor now since there is nothing to attach it to and I have to bust up the floor and replace the branch line. And who said home improvement projects were not loaded with fun and surprises!!!

DavidJ

Old 08-04-08, 11:36 PM
Originally Posted by DavidJ View Post
who said home improvement projects were not loaded with fun and surprises!!!

DavidJ
David.,,

I think you pretty much sum it all with the projects not only it happend to resdentail side but it does the same thing in commercal/industrail location as well.

Myself being a electrician in trade for pretty long time I almost see everything what alot of peoples throw in there and still see something new along the way

Merci,Marc