changing light sockets

Old 08-04-08, 08:59 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question changing light sockets

i have recently changed most of my light sockets. all was going well until i got to the hallway. this light socket has the same as the others coming from the ceiling apart from one. all others have three red wires, three black wires and the green and yellow. the one tha is causing problems has three red and only two black. where the other black one should be is one blue and one yellow. i have tried every combination i can think of and still i have no downstairs light. i dont want to call out an electrician because i know it will be something really simple. help!!:

Sponsored Links
Old 08-04-08, 09:33 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
Could your please tell us your location (city,country) and what type of building this is (single-family, condo, apartment)? The colors mean different things based on this information.

Old 08-04-08, 09:56 AM
Originally Posted by ibpooks View Post
Could your please tell us your location (city,country) and what type of building this is (single-family, condo, apartment)? The colors mean different things based on this information.
i live in arbroath, scotland and i am above a shop and it has two floors !

Old 08-04-08, 10:28 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
Please hang around for a response from Marc (French277V). He is able to provide much better advice on the European systems than I am.

Old 08-04-08, 11:08 AM
ok thanks. will wait for a reply from marc

Old 08-04-08, 05:57 PM
Ahh ok you are on old colour code so let me get to the point here real quick

Red = hot

Black = Netual

New colour code

Brown = Hot

Bleu = Netual

green with yellow stripe = earth { both new and old colour code both are the same }

Do you have any chance you have a voltage tester like neon light tester or voltmeter ? if so .,,

due one of the luminaire location you have switched point with standard switch there.

Just bear with me a sec if my memory with the UK/ Scottland system click in my mind the yellow is used on switched spurs so check that one the bleu luminaire lead { wire } should be tied to black while the brown luminaire wire should be on yellow it should work that way.

let me know if you got it working.

Merci,Marc