wiring a switch for a ceiling fan

Old 08-05-08, 12:43 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
wiring a switch for a ceiling fan

i have a box that has 2 switches in it. 1 controls a ceiling fan and one controls an outlet. Both were working fine. I recently replaced the switch that controls the outlet and now the ceiling fan doesn't work. I have a black wire going into the bottom of the outlet switch and then over to the fan switch and a red wire going into the top of the outlet switch. Then another black wire goes out of the fan switch and to the fan. Any ideas what I am doing wrong?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-05-08, 12:51 PM
Is this how it was previously wired.

Why did you replace the switch?

What exactly does "and then over to the fan switch" mean?

Does the fan work if both switches are turned on?

Old 08-05-08, 01:02 PM
Yes, this is how it was previously wired.

I replaced the switch with a white switch to match the others in the room.

The black wire is connected to the bottom of the outlet switch. And then there is a small piece of black wire that goes from the outlet switch to the fan switch.

No the fan does not work properly if both switches are turned on. The fan blades turn very, very slowly when both switches are turned on (takes over a minute to turn a full revolution) and the fan light does not work at all. The outlet does work though.

Old 08-05-08, 09:08 PM
Does your hookup look like this....

Old 08-06-08, 05:40 AM
Yes, that is how it is hooked up. The switch for the outlet is a single pole switch and the switch for the fan is the switch that came with the fan.

Old 08-06-08, 05:58 AM
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
wiring

What is plugged into the receptacle?

Old 08-06-08, 06:02 AM
Most of the time nothing is plugged into it. I plugged in a small night light just to see if it worked and it did.

Old 08-06-08, 08:02 AM
OK, well this is the correct way and it should work. It sounds like something went wrong with the fan switch.

What is the fan switch? Does it have fan speed control?

Old 08-06-08, 08:26 AM
The fan switch has a recieiver in the fan, there are no pull strings to turn the fan on or off. The fan switch does have speed control and also controls the fan light. I tried a new fan switch and it still didn't work. I replaced all of the outlets and switches in the room but didn't turn the power back on to check them until I had replaced them all so I didn't realize the problem until all off them had been replaced. Could it be a problem with the connections of one of the other outlets or switches?

Thanks for your help.

Old 08-06-08, 09:03 AM
Does the fan work if both switches are turned on?

You might try replacing the fan switch with an ordinary switch. If that still doesn't work, you can then try removing the remote receiver up at the fan.

Old 08-06-08, 11:54 AM
No, the fan doesn't work when both switches are on. I have tried replacing the fan switch with an ordinary switch and it still didn't work. I will try removing the reciever and using an ordinary switch and see if that works. Would it matter how the outlet (the one that the other switch in the box controls) is wired?

Old 08-06-08, 11:56 AM
Going back and reviewing and looking at the drawing I sent....

There is a red wire connected to one switch that goes to an outlet with a white wire. Cables don't have just red and white wires. There should be a black in that same cable. Perhaps it is cut off or connected elsewhere. Do you see a black wire associated with that run? If so where is it connected.

Old 08-06-08, 12:13 PM
In the box with the outlet there are 3 black wires that are attached together. The bottom of the outlet has a white wire connected to each side. The top of the outlet has a white wire connected on one side and a red wire connected on the other.

Old 08-06-08, 04:48 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Have you recently replaced the receptacle?
In the box with the outlet there are 3 black wires that are attached together. The bottom of the outlet has a white wire connected to each side.
That seems to describes a switch loop using power coming in to the receptacle. When you write, "a white wire connected to each side" do you mean a white wire on a brass screw? That would be a clear sign of a switch loop. If that is the case I would not expect the two switches to be connected together. It almost sounds like the fan is "running" off a switch loop.

Old 08-07-08, 07:07 AM
Yes, I replaced all of the receptacles and switches in the room.

Yes, there is a white wire connected to a brass screw on each side of the receptacle. Would it be better to have it wired differantly?

Old 08-07-08, 07:25 AM
OK, so continuing my question about the red wire. The red wire leaves the switch box with a white wire. Go back to the drawing I sent. You said that was correct for the way the switch box was wired. The red and white wires leave he switch box BUT does this cable also have a black wire coming into the box where the switches are?

Is there a red wire in the outlet box?

Is there a switch somewhere else in the room that also controls the outlet? Say at another entrance?

Somehow I think you got wires reversed when you replaced the switches. Are you absolutely sure you reconnected it the way it was before?

Old 08-07-08, 09:40 AM
Yes, there is a black wire coming into the box where the switches are.

Yes, their is a red wire in the box the outlet is in.

No, there is not another switch that controls the outlet.

I almost certain that I reconnected them the way they were but it's possible that I didn't.

There are 3 sets of wires that come into the outlet box...

The 1st has a black, white and red wire.
The red wire is connected to top right of the outlet. The white is connected to the bottom right of the outlet. The black it connected to the black wire from the other 2 sets of wires

The 2nd and 3rd each have a black and white wire.
The white wire from one is connected to the top left of the outlet. The white wire from the other is connected to the bottom left of the outlet. The black wires are connected together with the black wire from the 1st.

I have an image of the wire setup but I'm not sure how to attach it.

Sorry for the confusing explanation and thanks for your help.

Old 08-07-08, 10:57 AM
A couple of things about the receptacle (what your calling outlet). The terms left, right are meaning less. You need to use terms brass and silver screws.

Second was the connecting tab between the two receptacles of the duplex on the brass side broken off on the old duplex receptacle? Did you break off the connecting tab on the new receptacle? If you originally had a white wire to brass it was not interchangeable with any other white. In fact should have been remarked black. Are you sure you used the correct "white" wire to brass?

The white wire from one is connected to the top left of the outlet. The white wire from the other is connected to the bottom left of the outlet.
Are these silver screws? If so is the tab between them broken. Normally you would have only one white wire on the silver side and the tab would be unbroken. It could be though that they did it the way you say with an unbroken tab to tie two neutrals together rather then pigtailing.

At this point it may be easier to disconnect everything and start from scratch. With all wires disconnected determine which cable or cables are hot and which aren't and go from there. If you did do that though record all current connections so you can revert to the present configuration if needed.

Post your picture at Imageshack.us or photobucket.com and post the URL here.

Last edited by ray2047; 08-07-08 at 11:25 AM.
Old 08-07-08, 12:48 PM
This is a diagram of how everything is wired...

On the receptacle, the screws on the left are silver and the screws on the right are brass.

I'm not sire if the connecting tab on the old receptacle was broken off or not. I did not break it of on the new one. Do I need to?

Thanks again for your help with this.

Old 08-07-08, 03:26 PM
I'm not sire if the connecting tab on the old receptacle was broken off or not. I did not break it of on the new one. Do I need to?
If before the replacement one plug-in on the duplex was switched and the other was always hot you need to break the brass tab. Do you have a meter or neon test light? Which cable is hot?