3-way dimmer plus fan control

Old 08-07-08, 02:28 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
3-way dimmer plus fan control

I am remodeling a bedroom and am looking for a switch I can't seem to find anywhere. The original wiring had a 3-way switch at the bottom of the stairs and another one in the room. Both switches controlled the fan/light. The room was completely gutted so I ran a 3 wire up to the fan so the fan and light could be controlled separately. I am now looking for one of two options.

Is there a switch available that has one 3-way dimmer and one fan control in the same unit? Or even a 3-way dimmer and just a regular switch? As I said the room is gutted. I can wire any setup, but would prefer both switches fitting in a single box rather than installing separate switches side by side.

Old 08-07-08, 06:39 AM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I'm not sure if what you're looking for exists, but I'm guessing that at least the 3-way dimmer/regular switch would be available. However, most people find two side-by-side switches in a double-gang box easier to operate. Search the leviton.com web site.

Old 08-07-08, 09:41 AM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
You may be beyond needing this because you can wire however you want. In my previous house all the fans were wired so that a switch operated the light and the fan used the chain. That was fine with me. But at this house, all the fans are unswitched, having to use the chains for both the light and the fan. The house had no ceiling lights anywhere but the kitchen and bathrooms. Switches controlled outlets for lamps. I'm in the process of fixing that situation now.

Anyways, When I installed a ceiling fan in our LR I was dreading getting up in the attic to run wire and fishing it through the walls. I had found a wall switch that apparently did nothing. I checked everywhere with a tester and couldn't find what it was for. So I was looking for some kind of switch that took up one space (in my three switch box).

I ended up finding a switch that worked like a remote control. It mounts in the box, and has three buttons for the fan speeds, plus off, and one switch for the light, which also dims. You have to wire a receiver into the fan wiring and set some DIP switched for a code. This means that you can install units on multiple fans in the house (which I will eventually do), or use multiple remotes for one unit. It can work like a 3-way switch arrangement.

I found it at one of the big box stores. Can't remember the name of the company that makes it. It was about $30. Not much more than one of the hard wired switches that would control both the fan and a light.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: