Florescent kitchen lighting

Old 08-08-08, 07:37 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Florescent kitchen lighting

I have 4 fl 48in lights in my kitchen and ithought 2 lights burned out so I changed them and they would only light sometimes then I noticed 2 would always light but the new ones would only light when I turned on the switch a certain way does this indicate I need a new switch? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 08-08-08, 08:52 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
Are all four lamps in the same fixture or multiple fixtures? Did you make sure to match the lamp type to the ballast? There are different types of 4' lamps which are not compatible with all fixtures.

Old 08-08-08, 09:00 AM
Fl lights

there are 4 different fixtures and I believe I have been using the lamps for years in fact as I recall I bought a case of them years ago Thanks Jim

Old 08-08-08, 05:07 PM
A true 40 watt ( F40 T-12 sometime called F48T-12 ) will work majtory of resdentail ballast units but however with 34 watt ( F40T12 ) will work with some ballast depending on the label it say on ballast.

The 32 watt T-8 { F32T8 } is not interchangeable with F40T12's so keep in your mind with it.

Sure sometime you get bad new bulbs which I do get it from time to time.

The other area to check out is the tombstone { flourscent lamp holder } make sure they are good condtion not cracked or burnted or loose one of the three items can cause hard starting.

Most 4 lamp resdentail luminaire useally have two ballast in there one set for inboard lamps while other set is used for outboard lamps.

Merci,Marc

Old 08-10-08, 02:27 AM
If you find the last answers to be correct, then you have only one more piece of the puzzle to look at. Replace the ballast. They go bad quite often. Replace the ballast with the same one you took out because there are many different types of ballasts.