question for a friend

Old 08-08-08, 08:32 AM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
question for a friend

I may not have enough information from my friend but thought I'd give this a shot. She replaced a ceiling fan with a new one because the motor burned out in the old one. Everything worked fine for about 4 days then all of a sudden the ceiling fan only works intermittently (if at all) and now when you pull the fan speed chain it turns the lights on that are plugged into an electrical outlet beside the bed and does nothing to the fan itself. (by the way, the lights that are coming on at the outlet, previously weren't working at all) The ceiling fan light itself works fine. She is going to call an electrician, but I thought if this was an easy answer for someone out there I might as well post and see. Nothing electrical makes sense to me.

Thank you for your time!

Sponsored Links
Old 08-08-08, 09:39 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Far too little information to give an answer. Certainly sounds like the new one was mis-wired from the begining and you just didn't notice.

Old 08-08-08, 05:15 PM
F
There is not engouh infomation to come up any answer and did that person get the wire mixed up in the junction box ??

I am more leaning a miswired set up due the quick giveaway word

"when you pull the fan speed chain it turns the lights on that are plugged into an electrical outlet "

This is a surefire that got the connection mixed up.

Was this switch is oringally controlled the wall receptale or ceiling luminaire ??

Once we get more info we can go from there.

Merci,Marc

Old 08-08-08, 09:10 PM
D
Probably got wires mixed up at the switch. Outlet that light is plugged into is a switched outlet controlled by the mis-wired switch.

Old 08-08-08, 09:27 PM
N
Yes, for the nothing that I know about electricity, even the switch sounds like a logical possibility. The electrician has been called, so she will let them figure it out for sure. A coworker today mentioned that maybe she hooked the neutral wire incorrectly and something about a continuous circuit or something like that. He said it could cause the outlet to work and maybe burn out the switch on the ceiling fan. Thanks to all!!!