Gfci Hookup To Fuse Box For Spa

Old 08-09-08, 05:05 AM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Gfci Hookup To Fuse Box For Spa

I Hope someone can help..I have a wadsworth fuse box with an open 60 amp pullout and would like to run a line to spa box outside . the problem i have is the grci needs a line neutral to work and the fuse box has only a power and regular ground. How do i hook the grci up so it doesnt trip

Sponsored Links
Old 08-09-08, 05:57 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by forus450 View Post
the problem i have is the grci needs a line neutral to work and the fuse box has only a power and regular ground. How do i hook the grci up so it doesnt trip
Could you please explain what you mean when you say a power and regular ground?

What size service do you have? Have you performed a "demand load calculation" to see if you current service can handle the additional load? Do you also have a place to connect the required 120 volt GFI convenience receptacle?

Old 08-09-08, 10:02 AM
F
spa breaker

i have a 100 amp service panel. I have not done a load calculation. It requires a 240 hook up I have ran a 6-3 copper wire outside to 60 amp spa panel. So what i have for wires of course would be red black green and white...I just am not sure where the white comes in if the green is ground in old box

Old 08-09-08, 12:45 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 37 Posts
First off if this is a cable assembly like UF or Non-metallic acable more commonly called 'Romex' it can only be used for the interior portions of the wiring. It cannot be used on the exterior of the building even if in conduit. You need all insulated conductors.

You seem to be confusing the function of the neutral and ground. Your tub might not require a neutral, but will require a ground. The white neutral returns the current to the panel. The bare or green is for safety if a fault were to occur so the breaker can clear the fault.

Hot tubs and spas have complex Code requirements. This may not be the best place for a DIY to learn.

Old 08-10-08, 12:48 AM
S
My recommendation is, it is a very important one in my opinion, is get a service change done by a qualified electrician. Not only will you go to sleep knowing your house will not burn down, but it will make any future improvements such as this easier and safe to do so. It is worth the money and I don't know about your state, but you can not even sell a home with a fuse box installed in Washington. I realize this is not your question, but what I have described is a direct result of of your problems.

Old 08-10-08, 05:06 AM
R
Besides the GFCI, make sure you understand your spa's service wiring requirements. Different manufacturers use different services. For example, Vita Spa usually uses a 3-wire service, Coleman uses 4-wire, and Tiger Spa needs two separate circuits.

Originally Posted by pcboss View Post
Hot tubs and spas have complex Code requirements. This may not be the best place for a DIY to learn.
This may be the best advice.