What gauge wire for 60 amp fuse?

Old 08-09-08, 03:46 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
What gauge wire for 60 amp fuse?

I am installing a heat pump for my pool

What gauge wire would I use for a 60 amp fuse?

Also
I need
automatic bypass valve
temperature probe

for Addison Heat pump
It is for the water pipes....so I believe it is
universal
Where can I get those?
Wally

Sponsored Links
Old 08-09-08, 04:04 PM
#6 Cu. AWG THHW is good for 65 amps.

Old 08-09-08, 04:11 PM
We have lots of pumps that draw 60+ amps. On runs more that 20 feet #4 is a better choice for us. JMO

Old 08-10-08, 12:55 AM
I will be on the safe side to double check the manufacter nameplate for amp capacity rating to order to use the correct wire size and breaker[s].

To determed the size of heat pump requrement for the electrical system is diffrent than standard equiment requirements due they have specal code section on that part.

Again as I mention above on the first pargraph that part is very important to get it correct size.

{ If you have any doubts about this you can read Art 430 and 440 they will mention pretty clear on this one }( 2002,2005 and 2008 NEC code cycle )

[ Becarefull with this one due the pool heatpump circuaitor pump { water pump } may require a GFCI breaker so please follow the manufacter instuction very carefully otherwise get a electrician to come in and they can able to hook it up properly in code. ]

Merci,Marc

Old 08-10-08, 01:05 AM
Just to clarify the size of wire that I did not see mentioned. Yes it is #6 but only if you by copper. Aluminum wire if you choose to go that route would be #4. I would go copper but the choice is up to you.

Old 08-10-08, 08:30 AM
Good morning Wally
First, is it safe for me to assume that you have selected your 60-Ampere fuse based on the circuit ampacity requirements as stamped on your heat pump's nomenclature plate? If the answer to that question is yes, then according to Article 310, Table 310-16 of the NEC (National Electric Code), you can use either AWG#6 CU (Copper) or AWG#4 AL (Aluminum) wire to run your 60-Ampere circuit. Both AWG#6 CU and AWG#4 AL have an ampacity of 65 Amperes. If you choose to use AL conductors, make sure the terminals of your fused disconnect and the terminals on your heat pump are marked for use with aluminum wire. Personally, I would use copper conductors.

Also, don't forget to get a permit before installing your heat pump. Most municipalities require a permit for such work. Call your local building codes department and they will tell you what you need to do to obtain a permit.

One other thing, the NEC is the electrician's bible and all work must be performed in accordance with its rules and regulations or it wont pass inspection. So, if you plan on doing electrical work it would behoove you to purchase the latest revision of the Code.

Last edited by MrFixit43; 08-10-08 at 08:38 AM. Reason: added additional information
Old 08-10-08, 03:02 PM
Received 33 Votes on 25 Posts
One other thing, the NEC is the electrician's bible and all work must be performed in accordance with its rules and regulations or it wont pass inspection. So, if you plan on doing electrical work it would behoove you to purchase the latest revision of the Code.
I disagree. The full NEC has many chapters that a homeowner will never use and the wording of the entire Code is often difficult to understand. If you are willing to spend the money (and the Code is NOT cheap) then instead of purchasing the NEC I strongly suggest that you purchase the NEC Handbook instead. It has the entire NEC AND interpretations of how and why the Code must be used.

http://www.nfpa.org/catalog/product....ry&src=catalog