Add new outlet to middle of in line circuit

Old 08-10-08, 11:51 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Add new outlet to middle of in line circuit

Okay, I thought this would be easy but I was wrong. I am trying to add a new outlet (already installed where I want it) in the middle of an existing in line circuit. I thought maybe I just had to splice the new outlet wire into the existing circuit by wiring all 3 blacks together, all 3 whites together and all 3 grounds together. The existing circuit still works but the new outlet doesn't. What did I do wrong????

Help, please

Sponsored Links
Old 08-10-08, 12:44 PM
Where did you splice them?

What you should have done was run from the new receptical to one of the existing recepticals on the circuit and pigtail to the existing wires, or pull the wires from an existing box to the new one, and a new wire from the new box to where you pulled the wires from.

Old 08-10-08, 01:31 PM
A former owner had already spiced the existing circuit to add a flourescent light that he had hung from the ceiling. We got rid of this light and I was trying to use this existing break to wire in my outlet. Can I do that? If so, what wires conned to what wires? I'm a real electrical no nothing so please walk me through the correct connections.

Thanks

Old 08-10-08, 04:29 PM
take a picture, it sounds like priceless install... Also, sounds like the switch is off thats why the receptacle does not work...

Old 08-10-08, 05:33 PM
We are missing too many details to be very useful.

What previously controlled the fluorescent fixture? Wall switch? Pull chain? Something else?

Old 08-11-08, 12:43 PM
Okay, I'll try to describe the existing wiring and where the existing splice for the old light was to help folks visualize better. From the breaker box the old existing circuit goes to an outlet and then on to a wall switch that controlled an overhead light that I want to remove. From there the old circuit went on to feed several wall outlets. The way the old circuit was set up, the wall switch ONLY effects the light, it does not cause the rest of the circuit to turn on and off with the light.

What I want to do is the splice point for the old overhead light wiring (which was spliced in place by the former owner of my house) and connect instead into an additional new outlet I've placed on the wall just below the splice. I'm not sure how to wire black and white wires (and grounds) at the splice to make this work with the new outlet. So far, at the splice point I tried it this way:

1. Incoming old circuit white wire to new cable white wire
2. New circuit black wire to outgoing old circuit white wire
3. Incoming old circuit black to outgoing old circuit black

When I turn the power back on the old circuit is restored with this wiring scheme, but the new outlet still doesn't work.

Please let me know if you need more info to help me.

Old 08-12-08, 08:53 AM
You still have to provides some more information. How many total wires of different colors are in the box that held the switch? How were they connected before you did anything?