wire-nut terminations inside disconnect panel

Old 08-10-08, 07:47 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
wire-nut terminations inside disconnect panel

On an A/C call today (residential) I discovered that off the bottom of a 40 amp circuit breaker,( inside a small panel being used as a disconnect means for the A/C condensing unit) someone thought it to be a convenient place to run some 12 awg to some house receptacles. (inside EMT from knock-outs on this box) note: 8 awg and 12 awg underneath one screw. Being a rookie electrician and getting my education of this wonderfull site, I know of course, the numerous violations and dangers here. As there is room in the main panel, I plan to a) install a 20 amp circuit breaker b) run 1 black, 1 white and a ground wire (12awg thwn) inside half inch emt from the main panel to the A/C disconnect box (location of the beginning of my two illegal circuits,) and join my 12 awg wires with wirenuts inside this box. Sound O.K. ????

Sponsored Links
Old 08-11-08, 04:59 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Since you are opting to run a new circuit (good move), I would not use the disconnect box as a junction box. It would be too easy just to use a wp box as a junction box adjacent to the location. Cuts down on confusion that way.

Old 08-11-08, 08:03 AM
Although I agree with chandler's advice, you may execute your proposed plan if you wish, as long as it overcrowds neither the box nor the conduit. You may not even need a new grounding wire if there is already one in the conduit.

Old 08-11-08, 11:11 AM
Wink

Thank-you gentleman for the quick response, which I know would have been almost instant if yesterday (the day of my post) was not Sunday. Anyway I just had a thought (duh) which I didn't have at the time of my visit at this location. What is that thought praytell? Perhaps to save myself the trouble of running the EMT (although it would be good experience for me) could I just run the new 12awg inside the EMT that houses the 8awg for this disconnect box. Note: there is of course a Neutral Bus Bar inside this panel to which are attached the grounded conductors of my illegal circuits. Sooo the wires entering this disconnect are three 8 awg wires (one is re-identified white and goes to this Neutral bus bar. So I suppose, maybe I could get away with just running One "I say one" black 12awg wire, and a ground (from the main and my new 20 amp C/B) inside the same conduit feeding this box, providing that my three 8awg feeders are inside the proper sized EMT (I didn't take notice, but I suppose they would be at least 3/4 inch. Anyway I'm sure someone gets my drift. Good Idea or bad Idea or Illegal idea???? thanx in advance Probably I should stay with my original plan??!!

Old 08-11-08, 12:43 PM
No, you cannot get away with running one black wire and a ground. You might be able to get away with one black and one white, depending.

A #8 black wire remarked white is illegal.

Old 08-11-08, 06:22 PM
Question

Thanx John for the quick reply. What If I removed my big fat 8awg black wire that's illegally re-identified and ran a simple 20 amp circuit 12/2 with ground inside this EMT, (that would contain, after removal of the illegally re-identified 8 awg wire only the two 8 awg wires feeding the single disconnect 40 amp c/b that supplies power for the Condensing unit) would this be O.K.??? Thanx

Last edited by sidecutter; 08-11-08 at 06:23 PM. Reason: mis-spelling