Help!!! OLD fuse panel

Old 08-11-08, 06:07 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Help!!! OLD fuse panel

Old fuse box-- can't remove some of the round fuses -- they are partially covered by black plastic molding which is not touching them. How do I remove this semi box around the fuse to get at the fuse? We've tried to squeeze them, pull them apart, etc.

Help

The company that made the fuse box was Amalgamated Electric Corp. Ltd.

Old 08-11-08, 06:44 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 112 Votes on 97 Posts
Could you please post a photo so we can have a better idea of what you are trying to deal with?

Old 08-11-08, 09:02 PM
C
What you have is a two fuse pullout, used to supply 240 and 120/240 circuits.

There is a handle between the two you just pull on it and will pull out the whole pullout assembly, which then you can flip open the door which keep you from removing the fuses when thehe pullout is in the panel.

Old 08-11-08, 11:56 PM
S
I have to disagree with clasicsat only because of the mention of round fuses. Most pull out fuses are a barrel type. Sounds like the plastic around screw in type fuses has melted due to overload. I am a big believer in changing services if they are an old fue box.

Old 08-12-08, 09:20 AM
C
I know I am correct. Amalgamated fuse panels definitely do have such pull out two Edison base fuse assemblies used to protect and disconnect two pole circuits, and have those doors which
keep the fuses from being removed unless the whole assembly is pulled from the panel. My brother and Sister each have an Amalgamated 100A fuse box in their home with such holders for the dryer and kitchen circuits (both have gas hot water).

Old 08-13-08, 02:47 AM
S
I will obviously have to concede to classiccat since I am not aware of this type of fuse assembly 100% sure. I am speaking of typical fuse box assemblies that I have dealt with on a regular basis. I stand by my convictions regardless of what type of fuse box that they are inherently dangerous and must be replaced. You can not sell a house in Washington State with that kind of liability. Fuse boxes were of course the cutting edge at their hayday, but todays power needs exceed anything a fuse box can safely supply.

Old 08-13-08, 04:12 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 112 Votes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by scubakirk1 View Post
I stand by my convictions regardless of what type of fuse box that they are inherently dangerous and must be replaced. You can not sell a house in Washington State with that kind of liability. Fuse boxes were of course the cutting edge at their hayday, but todays power needs exceed anything a fuse box can safely supply.
How would a properly sized fuse be inherently more dangerous than a breaker? Yes, on some fuse panels you can insert a over sized fuse without opening the panel cover. Installing a over sized breaker is possible too, it just requires the removal of the cover. Nothing is foolproof.

As far as Washington not allowing sales of homes with fuses sounds like a knee jerk reaction legislation by uninformed lawmakers. Sounds like the one state that will not accept a house with a service smaller than 200 amps regardless of the true load of the house or the size of the house.

Old 08-14-08, 03:11 AM
S
You are right about the actual load of a single home dwelling. I turned everything on possible once in a 3500 sq house and my amp probe read like 90 amps maybe.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: