Transfer switch under main panel?

Old 08-13-08, 11:03 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Transfer switch under main panel?

I'm planning to install a transfer switch for my 5500 watt generator. The main panel in my garage is mounted high...the bottom is about 5.5' off the floor.

Is there anything in the code that would prevent me from mounting the transfer switch in the same stud bay as the the main panel and just below it? Unfortunately, it's the only practical place I have to install it. I have storage to the left and a solid 14.5" of 2X4s to the right (it the laminated "post" holding up one end of a steel beam).

Here's the transfer switch - http://www.connecticut-electric.com/manual.html - I plan to install. It has a pigtail already wired in...can't get it too far from the main panel.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 08-13-08, 11:23 AM
Is there anything in the code that would prevent me from mounting the transfer switch in the same stud bay as the the main panel and just below it?
Assuming the main is not in violation where it is located it would be fine to install the transfer switch below it.

Old 08-13-08, 11:44 AM
Bruto,

The main panel is ok. The storage I mentioned to left is portable and far enough away from the main panel not to be an issue. It would, however, interfere with the transfer switch if I installed to the left.

Thanks for the quick response.

Randy

Old 08-13-08, 12:04 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
The transfer switch below the main is okay. You might want to check with the local inspector for a minimum height as some areas do enforce a minimum height for switchgear in areas with the potential for flammable fumes. Typically this is somewhere around 24" anyway, so probably not a concern given the ample space below the main.

I am a little concerned about the height of the main panel though. Code maximum for height is 6'-7" (79") to the center of the highest breaker switch. It sounds like you might just squeak by, but might be a good idea to check before the inspector comes by.

Old 08-13-08, 12:28 PM
Ben,

I'm certain there will be no problem with the 24" requirement. As for the 5'6" to the bottom of the main panel, that was a sort of a swag on my part. It's a GE 30-space panel with a 200 amp main at the top. At 5'8", I have to reach for the main, but not stretch. :-) The panel was installed when the house was built and passed code at that time. That was 1988.

Anyway, I will check with the inspector to be sure everything is ok before I proceed. I've worked with him before. I was just trying to plan everything before I bought the transfer switch.

Now, I have to figure how to rig the generator next to the house and keep the neighbors happy. I sure wish the generators had better mufflers.

Thanks