Cost for a sub-panel install

Old 08-13-08, 04:08 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cost for a sub-panel install

I currently have a remodeling project going on including new electrical. The price of running the electrical to the main panel is included in my contractors bid but I see that I will be out of slots on the panel after this work is done and will need to install a subpanel in the future when I remodel my kitchen. I figure it would be easier to have them install the subpanel now that way they will not have to re-run wires later. The electrician gave me a price of $600 to run a 60 am 20 slot sub-panel. It will be located 1 foot away from the main panel and will use two available breaker slots on the mail panel with no need to re-wire any existing runs. So, correct me if I am wrong, the materials to do this job should be as follows:
-Sub-panel
-60amp breaker for main panel
-Wire from the main panel to the sub
-Breakers for the sub panel
-Labor

My question is does this a fair price for the job. Considering that he will be running home runs from the remodel right to this subpanel (this is already paid for in the contractors price), it doesn't sound like more than a $200 worth of materials, and it seems like a pretty easy install. I would think 3 hours, including some time already paid for to run the home runs to the panel, to complete this job (that is just installing the subpanel and wiring from the main, not including any of the other work which is paid for) would be reasonable. But $600 sounds a bit high. I don't think he was including 20 breakers for the subpanel in the price either, only the 4 he would need for the remodel, which should already be paid for. I live in northern NJ (Montclair). Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-13-08, 04:40 PM
M
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Materials for that would probably run $100-130 tops. Maybe 150 with plywood. And, IMO, that's a pretty standard price overall. But yea, from the consumers point of view, it's high. If your looking for a good career, electrical certainly pays.

Since I'm starving, I'd do it for 3 or 4...

Old 08-13-08, 05:51 PM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 92 Votes on 86 Posts
$600 sounds like it's reasonable. If he's doing other work, you may be able to negotiate him down a bit ("I'm considering doing it myself to keep the cost down, but I'd be much happier if you did it...").

Of course compared to DIY, anything he charges will sound high. It's not that hard to install a subpanel, but there are a lot of details you need to know, and it's not something you want to get wrong. Before you embark on that project, be sure to evaluate your skills and make a good decision.

If you think electricians are expensive, you probably haven't had a plumber in recently.

Old 08-13-08, 07:26 PM
$600 is a rip-off, breakers or not. What brand main panel do you have? A 60A feeder for the sub will run $13-$18 in most cases, and you can get a 20 slot box for around $60 in either Square D Homeline or Siemens at your local Home Depot. Not to mention the fact that installing the sub would be an hour's labor, if even that. I'd have him land his home runs at the location of the sub, and install it yourself. Myself and others here can talk you through it. It's not difficult at all.

Old 08-13-08, 08:02 PM
F
Some of ya guys think we the electricians charge that much well .,,
It depending on what area it in and the labour rate will varies a bit.

Yeah we useally have to get the electrical permits { many states are pretty strict with this } the permit cost it will varies from each place they can run anywhere from 20 bucks to few hundred dollars { no I am not kidding on price i heard they go that high }

For the materals they are not too bad depending on what brand breaker and need GFCI or AFCI breaker or not depending on set up.

For myself the cost is no where that high if everything is open { unfinshed basement }

for finshed walls it will cost little more but again nothing will be the same it will varies a bit

Most percentage the subpanel is not that hard if you understand the code and instructions.

Merci,Marc

Old 08-13-08, 08:18 PM
R
$600 is a reasonable price for a business to charge.They have overhead etc. This is assuming that you are not talking about somebody working out of the trunk of their car.

Your looking at time on job in addition to time to get materials. It is not a 1 hour job, I can't believe Arc And Spark actually said that. Are you really an electrical contractor ?

For the original poster, If you think the price is high, then just go to home depot and buy all the materials and then Arc and Spark can help you bust it out in a 1/2 hour. If your not sure what materials you will need, I'm sure the Electrical Guru working in the aisle of Home Depot will help you out.

I'm sure after 3 trips to Home depot and an entire Saturday wasted, you wish you would have paid the $600

Old 08-13-08, 08:48 PM
F
Received 35 Votes on 27 Posts
All good comments.

Slukster, while the parts are not too expensive there IS the strong possibility that the permit for your other work would not cover this job and therefore a new permit (with the administrative fees) would have to be pulled. This could be a fair amount of the cost being quoted.

It could also be that the electrician really doesn't want to do the job and he (she?) quoted a high price to get you to back off from adding additional scope to the existing job.

Old 08-14-08, 08:38 AM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by slukster View Post
-60amp breaker for main panel
could be very pricy if you have an older or oddball brand

Labor
Of course this varies a lot from region to region.

You also forgot to include permit/inspection fees which can be astronomical in some cities.

My question is does this a fair price for the job.
In my area this would be a high price, but local rates do vary so the best way to know it to get more estimates and compare. It is difficult to quote a job over the internet.

Old 08-15-08, 03:52 PM
Originally Posted by rich3236 View Post
$600 is a reasonable price for a business to charge.They have overhead etc. This is assuming that you are not talking about somebody working out of the trunk of their car.

Your looking at time on job in addition to time to get materials. It is not a 1 hour job, I can't believe Arc And Spark actually said that. Are you really an electrical contractor ?

For the original poster, If you think the price is high, then just go to home depot and buy all the materials and then Arc and Spark can help you bust it out in a 1/2 hour. If your not sure what materials you will need, I'm sure the Electrical Guru working in the aisle of Home Depot will help you out.

I'm sure after 3 trips to Home depot and an entire Saturday wasted, you wish you would have paid the $600

Let me clarify my previous post. An hour to install a sub in an unfinished basement is ample time. I didn't mean to come off like that was a set time. And yes, i am an EC, and a damn good one. My rate for a sub is a flat $350 plus panel, and is for the sub only, no circuits installed. That would be extra. I have way too much work to spend my time milking an install in order to justify an outrageous price.

Old 08-15-08, 11:24 PM
F
Rich.,,

Let me speak for ARC-N-SPARK's behalf and I will vocher it and yes he is good electrician and I do talk to him from time to time and he been around in his area for pretty long time.

And the other thing keep in your mind each of us { the electricians } have diffrent rates for the labour and for myself if I installed the subpanel it will take a shy over a hour on open wall but enclosed wall it will take little longer.

Merci,Marc