Running wire from crawlspace to exterior wall

Old 08-15-08, 01:35 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Running wire from crawlspace to exterior wall

This is what I seem to be dealing with:

I have drilled a hole through the floor inside the wall down to the concrete using a flexible drill bit, but I can't seem to connect to the hole when drilling from the crawlspace. Is there some method I can use to make sure I'm drilling in the exact right spot under the house to meet up with th hole inside the wall, or is there some different method altogether for getting wire into that wall?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-15-08, 01:55 PM
C
Originally Posted by MrAngles View Post
This is what I seem to be dealing with:
I have drilled a hole through the floor inside the wall down to the concrete using a flexible drill bit, but I can't seem to connect to the hole when drilling from the crawlspace. Is there some method I can use to make sure I'm drilling in the exact right spot under the house to meet up with th hole inside the wall, or is there some different method altogether for getting wire into that wall?
I generally drill a coat hanger through the floor so I can line up my two holes, once you remove the coat hanger the hole is so small its not noticeable.

Old 08-15-08, 03:57 PM
M
Ok that helped and I seem to be right where I need to be, but I can't tell if the holes are connecting or not. What's the best way to get a wire through a 90 degree turn in a 9/16" hole?

Old 08-15-08, 04:17 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 83 Votes on 71 Posts
I am assuming that you drilled horizontally thru the sill plate?
Regardless of the type of cable you are trying to fish into the wall it will be very hard on the cable trying to make that sharp of a bend.
I would try to drill a bigger hole in the sill plate pointed slightly upward. You can also drill another hole near the first hole to try and look in while you fish.

Old 08-15-08, 07:00 PM
M
That's correct, I drilled horizontally through the sill plate, however it is pointed slightly upwards anyway, due to the necessary angle of the drill bit, so I suppose it's not exactly 90 degrees. I'm running speaker wire, so it should handle the turn ok I think. Can anyone tell me about flexible bit extensions? I've got a 1" spade bit that I'd like to use to widen the hole if it will work ok with a flexible bit extension, a regular bit won't work in this space.

Old 11-24-08, 05:02 PM
M
Question

After drilling the necessary holes and fishing the wires from the crawl space up into the walls, I noticed that there is no longer an air tight seal for the house. What is typically done to address this? Also, are these holes more prone to termite damage?

Thanks in advance.

Old 11-24-08, 05:42 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 83 Votes on 71 Posts
Can't answer about the termites. You could use caulk or latex expanding foam to draft stop around the wire.

Old 11-25-08, 08:00 AM
T
Originally Posted by must_golf_more View Post
What is typically done to address this? Also, are these holes more prone to termite damage?
Only if you have termites already.