doorbell transformer help!

Old 08-15-08, 09:40 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
doorbell transformer help!

My doorbell stopped working and the problem appears to be with the transformer. The transformer outputs are reading 0 volts, but the input wires are reading normal. I'm considering switching to a wireless doorbell (I don't like the location of the current chime box) instead of replacing the transformer. Is it safe to leave the transformer (and old doorbell wiring) as is and just abandon it? The transformer box doesn't feel hot or warm at all.

Thanks in advance! (I'm a diy novice!)

Sponsored Links
Old 08-15-08, 09:58 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Are the transformer connections in a junction box? If so disconnect the transformer and put wire nuts on the 120v side. Your way is OK but I think it is better to disconnect.

Old 08-16-08, 05:29 PM
G
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
If you remove the transformer totally, get a hole cover to block anyone from sticking their finger in the hole.

As to wireless chimes, I think you will soon learn to hate it. Many grumbles on the forum over the years.

Old 08-16-08, 05:36 PM
A
One of my kid's friend's parents have wireless doorbells at their house. They are on the second floor of a duplex. I usually end up using my cell phone to call them unless one of the windows is open. Then I can just yell. Good luck with that wireless plan.

Old 08-17-08, 01:15 AM
C
Thanks for all the advice! The transformer connections are in a junction box, so if I end up going wireless I'll remove the transformer and block it off just to be safe (I was just being lazy wanting to leave it).

So wireless doorbells are no good? Any other ideas on how to relocate the chime box? It's currently located in the kitchen, far away from the transformer which is in a closet.

Old 08-17-08, 05:09 AM
R
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Quick note: Doorbell transformers are AC, not DC. If you measured for DC volts you'll read zero or close to it.

Old 08-17-08, 06:48 AM
A
Originally Posted by caggin View Post

So wireless doorbells are no good? Any other ideas on how to relocate the chime box? It's currently located in the kitchen, far away from the transformer which is in a closet.
I have a wireless doorbell at the office that works just fine ... over a distance of about 15 feet. But for whatever reason the others I seem to run into are not as reliable, and the people most affected by a doorbell not working cannot do anything about it. How often do you ring your own doorbell?

Relocating the chime depends on the wiring configuration. Most old setups use the chime as the hub and the transformer and doorbell wiring "spoke" out from there, so moving in that configuration usually involves running a 2- or 3-conductor wire from the old location to the new location.

You don't say if you have more than one doorbell button. But if you have only one, it can be considerably easier to move the chime by just splicing wires and otherwise reconfiguring. All of this should involve drawing a diagram and figuring out what exactly is connected to what. If you can draw an accurate diagram and post it here, somebody can tell you what is and is not possible. Photos are always good too. How much time have you got?