Adding an overhead light

Old 08-16-08, 10:35 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Adding an overhead light

Help!!

I just moved into a brand new home. We turned our living room into a pool room and have a pool table in the center of the room. There is one switch on the wall that is connected to a plug on the other side so you can plug in a light and control it from the switch.

I want to install a light over the pool table and have it controlled by the switch.

How do I do that????

Old 08-16-08, 11:12 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 194 Upvotes on 170 Posts
I would suggest a book like "Wiring Simplified" to get you started and so you have an idea of what you will see.

Secondly, we would need to know the colors and number of wires in the switch box and attached to the switch. this will determine where the power will need to come from.

Old 08-16-08, 11:21 AM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
This is one of the most common DIY electrical projects done by homeowners. It has been frequently discussed in this forum, and there are entire websites devoted to just this one project. Look around and you'll find the information you need. Also, browse some home wiring books at your home center and see if you can find one that covers this project.

Old 08-16-08, 11:22 AM
M
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
More info

Wire from switch to outlet is four wire, red/black/white/ and green (ground). Wanted to pull this wire back and run it to the new light in the ceiling, but when I disconnect it from the outlet it leaves no power there.

Three wire run leaving the outlet is black/white/and green. Obviously to me the four wire coming over from the switch is feeding the outlet and the three wire from the outlet is feeding another outlet. My thoughts are to intersect the four wire in the attic with a junction box and run a two wire out of the box from the white and the red, therefore eliminating the red from the outlet in the wall all together. That will keep my outlet hot and bring my switch hot on the red to my light in the ceiling along with the white, which is common. Are these thoughts correct? Or am I totally wrong???

Old 08-16-08, 11:55 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 194 Upvotes on 170 Posts
Cutting wires between boxes does not leave enough wire to work with. You need 6" of free conductor in the boxes. Most times this means that 2 boxes need to be added with a short length of wire between them. Each splice is a potential failure point.

You also did not list the all wires in the switch box. This can make a difference.

Old 08-16-08, 01:21 PM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
It is usually possible to do this either by running the new cable from the ceiling to either the switch or to the receptacle. So you might give some thought as to which would be easier. Normally it is easier to run new cables in interior walls without insulation. Sometimes the attic configuration also dictates which would be easier.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: