Supplying multiple buildings

Old 08-16-08, 11:29 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Supplying multiple buildings

When I build our place in SC, I plan to have 3 buildings- a house, a guest house, and a barn. Should I run all of these off one electrical service, or plan on having separate meters? I would think it would make sense to run the barn off a sub panel, but what about the guest house (which may have a full-time resident)? It's a long way (400') to the road, so it would be cheaper to run subs from the main house, but is it practical/code legal? If I run all 3 off one service, will I need more capacity at the main? Thanks!
Jay

Old 08-16-08, 11:37 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 148 Votes on 131 Posts
I think now is the time to get the power company involved to discuss your options.

They may have issues with multiple services to the same premises.

Old 08-17-08, 10:54 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I will call the electric company, although I have enough land to sub-divide if I really wanted to. I'm planning to have my mother live in the guest house, if her health holds up. I would rather have everything on one service; I'm just wondering what the potential logistics might be. Mom won't need a lot of juice in her 600 sq ft cottage- I'll probably actually need a bigger panel in the barn, where all my toys are- machinery, welders, etc. My mother has two separate meters where she lives now, and pays through the nose for the one on her barn. I'd rather avoid that.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: