Main Breaker Panel outside house

Old 08-17-08, 12:31 PM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Main Breaker Panel outside house

Recently, a nephew of mine and his wife bought a house in Littleton, Colorado. The house was built as part of a residential development of single family homes in 1992 or 3. My brother went out there to vist and tells me that the circuit breaker panel for the house is mounted on the outside of the house--appears to be a normal panel, not weather proof or anything. Having never seen this before, he called me but I have never seen it either. My nephew contacted the building department who said that this done on homes in the area at the request of the fire department so they can have access to shut off power without having to go into the home. Anybody know if this is common in other parts of the country? Never seen it here in the northeast or anywhere else I have been for residential construction. Just curious.

Old 08-17-08, 12:38 PM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Here in AZ, all the older (10-15 y/o) houses are on the outside.
Thought it was a little weird myself, but after a yr, I realize, little rain or snow, guess its no problem. Even tho they aren't waterproof, they are designed to shed water.

Old 08-17-08, 01:29 PM
D
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
This is very common in the south as well.
However, the panel needs to be rated NEMA 3R for protection against the weather.
I would doubt it is NEMA 1 if it was inspected.
He may not realize what he has.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: